Items with no label
3335 Discussions

D415 vs D435 when in move

PIsoa
Beginner

Hi,

D415 has rolling shutter, D435 has a global shutter, I have understood that where this matters is if realsense camera is moving or not.

So where goes the line? Is D415 for only stationery situations or can it work until say 0.x m/s movement and then you need to do use D435?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I believe that the difference the shutters make is that with a rolling shutter, you may get smears or breaks in the image when recording a stream of something that is in motion (either the camera moving or the object it is looking at). An example where a global shutter is better than a rolling shutter is attaching a camera to a balloon and floating it up into the atmosphere.

A rolling shutter would not be suitable for tracking very fast objects such as using it in a self-driving vehicle to detect other vehicles and pedestrians.

It is hard to say how fast is too fast before an image taken with a rolling shutter starts breaking up. So if you plan on recording movement of any kind, I would err on the side of caution and go with the D435.

BPalm
Beginner

I'm not sure if your answer was correct. I have read information contradicting what you stated. I also read that D415 was better close up which after reading the specs is untrue. Sadly I received my D415 the other day to realize I want the D435 so I guess I will be purchasing that now. hoping both sensors can be used to scan together So it's not a total loss since I had planned to gear 4-5 eventually.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

The D435 can get closer to objects as it has a smaller minimum distance. However, the D415 gives better results over long distance, because it has less noise in its depth image as the target the camera is observing gets further away.. So when scanning, for example, an object that is 3 meters from the camera, the D415's image may be cleaner than the D435's.

0 Kudos
BPalm
Beginner

Thank you Marty. This is good to know. I essentially jumped from an iSense to this as we are developing our own scanner to use in both 3D printing and cnc replication of our prototype parts made by hand so we're not having to take the long route in building a cad from scratch. Thankfully I have a seasoned developer by my side. Most of our scanning and I should really say all but who knows once it's all assembled how we go will be done with approx 18"-24" distance from a 12" turn table depending on field of view which is why we're planning to obtain 4-5 sensors. Getting familiarized was more important than having a case of sensors shipped and find out we needed something differen. Also keeping in mind smaller items on the turn table will obviously increase that distance so the thought is to have sliding tracks that can move in and out and lock into an equal measurable distance. I really don't see is doing anything portable however we have talked about using a lidar hybrid Realsense system on a gimbal that we can use to scan interior objects, etc... who knows at this point but from what you tell me I will be buying a D435 today and may as well get it with another aaeon since we have multiple uses for those as well.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Lidar has been used in combination with RealSense before in 2017. A mobile retail robot called Tally was created that navigates around a store and scans the products on the shelves.

In regard to capturing a 3D model on a turntable, an existing software package called LIPScan is compatible with the 400 Series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N14Pi6z-MkE LIPScan 3D with RealSense D415 - YouTube .

0 Kudos
KKnez
Beginner

This is a test

0 Kudos
KKnez
Beginner

Why am I not able to make a new thread?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

You should be able to go to the front page of the forum with the link below and click Ask A Question at the top of the side panel to start a new discussion.

0 Kudos
BPalm
Beginner

If you're using the phone app it is a little weird for iPhone. As Marty stated It is on the main page and upper right there is a button that is not clearly marked which will open up a new thread box.

0 Kudos