13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2018 1:02 PM by Cat_Mum

Driver and Support Assistant won't reinstall correctly

Cat_Mum

Hi.

A few months back I was experiencing problems that seemed to be malware related, so I contacted my antimalware support team. They asked me to submit specific files. When they reviewed those files, they said it looked like the Intel Driver and Support Assistant was corrupted because the list of errors was incredibly long, thousands of errors in just one day. They told me to uninstall it and reinstall it. So I uninstalled it. It wouldn't re-install. But I kept on getting messages telling me I had 2 updates. When I would click on the message box, nothing would happen. And Driver and Support Assistant was still not installed, not listed in apps.

I've tried to re-install this program 3 times since.

Today I tried again for the 4th time. I clicked for it to install. The page greyed out and the bar across the top of the grey section said "Installing. Please wait while we update", and that it was scanning my system. I let it run like that for 30 minutes, and it didn't seem to be making any headway, so I closed the page. This is exactly what happened the other times I tried to re-install.

Intel Driver and Support Assistant.jpg

I just went to my apps to see what other Intel stuff I had to see if there was anything I should uninstall to make reinstalling Driver and Support Assistant re-install correctly. And it is now listed in apps!

It has only been about 3 months since it was uninstalled, and the computer was only bought in December of 2017, so there can't have been that many driver updates to do that would make the install process run for 30 minutes without any discernible progress. And how could it be installed properly if I closed the tab running the so-called installation while it was still grey and unresponsive? I don't believe it has installed correctly, and that I will start to experience myriad computer problems again as a result of this. I am unsure of what to do. Why didn't it just give me a small file to download in my downloads folder, have me click on that, and then install the Driver and Support Assistant? Because of this, it looks like it didn't uninstall properly.

Can someone please advise me?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Driver and Support Assistant won't reinstall correctly
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Cat_Mum,
          Thank you for your contacting us about the issue that you are experiencing with our Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) tool, it will be more than a pleasure to assist you.
          In this case, in order to improve the tool and to fix problems, we will need:
          - Specific information on your system type, OS, browser, and exact details on the issue.
          - Attach debug log files found at C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA.

I hope to hear from you soon.
          Best Regards,
          Diego S.

• 2. Re: Driver and Support Assistant won't reinstall correctly
            Cat_Mum

Hello. Thank-you for the reply, Diego S.

I believe that you will find all my specific System information in the Chrome file "Detailed-System-Report". For some reason it lists Firefox twice in my list of browsers?? I primarily use Chrome, Edge for viewing Netflix, and although I installed Firefox a couple of months ago, I haven't used it yet.

I have attached all files found in C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA. Because there is a limit on this forum on how many files I can attach to a reply, I have put all the text files in one text file. I have included the file names and dates.

It looks like the date of the last scan done by Intel Driver and Support Assistant was done on the 4th of this month, which would mean that although I thought I'd uninstalled it, and it wasn't showing up in Apps, that it hadn't actually uninstalled at all.

Emsisoft Antimalware asked me to send them certain files on my computer when they were trying to diagnose a problem that was exhibiting Trojan-like behavior, and the logs were incredibly long. As they said to me, they found thousands of Intel Driver and Support Assistant errors each day, so they told me to uninstall and reinstall the Intel program because it looked like it was corrupted. I believe they asked me to use the Farbar Recovery Scan tool to do an analysis, and those were the files I sent to them. I was having trouble with access to Chrome, and to Emsisoft, as well as other issues. They probably had me use other tools, too, but I can't remember exactly was happening.

So right now, I'd say the exact issue is the installation and correct working of Intel Driver and Support Assistant. It was causing problems, I thought I'd uninstalled it, It wasn't in the Apps list, I kept on getting notifications that were 2 updates and when I tried to install them, the greyed screen exactly like the screenshot I provided in my question yesterday showed up and stayed like that until I gave up (no updates were installed and the message kept on periodically reappearing), I tried reinstalling it last night, the install and scanning the system went on for 30 minutes before I gave up, and then I find it's been invisibly installed all this time, and now shows up in Apps.

I hope you managed to keep track of all that.

Best Regards,

Cat_Mum

• 3. Re: Driver and Support Assistant won't reinstall correctly
              Intel Corporation

Hello Cat_Mum
              Thank you for your response.
              We just received an answer from the team in charge of your case.
              Please go ahead and try these troubleshooting steps and let us know the outcome:
              -Download msi file from http://registrationcenter-download.intel.com/akdlm/irc_nas/11135/w_sur_p_2.1.0.03392_sursvc_qh.msi (e.g. to C:\Download)
               Open CMD.exe as Administrator and change directory to download location (e.g. cd /d C:\Download)
              If the installation wizard navigates to Repair/Modify/Remove options, choose Remove
              If the installation wizard navigates to install phase, proceed and finish installation. Then re-run:  w_sur_p_2.1.0.03392_sursvc_qh.msi and choose Remove
              -Uninstall IDSA from Control Panel
              -Install new IDSA version from: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant?product=128824
              I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,
              Diego S.

• 4. Re: Driver and Support Assistant won't reinstall correctly
                Cat_Mum

Hello Diego S.

Thank-you to you and "the team" for trying to help me with this.

I'm sorry to report that I couldn't do as you suggest. I clicked on the link you gave me for the msi file. It went to a blank Intel page that Chrome asked me if I wanted to proceed to. I said yes, and it automatically downloaded the msi file to C:\Downloads. Only an msi file downloaded. There was no sign of a CMD.exe anywhere so I assume you meant for me to open the msi file. I opened it and it's a Setup Wizard for Intel (R) Computing Improvement Program.

2 error boxes immediately popped up. The one on top said "A later version of Intel (R) Computing Improvement Program is already installed. Setup will now exit."

When I clicked on OK and the top box closed, the error box below said "Intel (R) Computing Improvement Program Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, run Setup Wizard again. Click the Finish button to exit the Setup Wizard".

There is an "Intel" folder in both "Program files" and "Program Files (x86). I tried clicking around in them to see if I could find something that made sense, but nothing does. I did searches in My PC to see if I could find something called "Computing Improvement Program", or "Intel (R) Computer, but no items matched my search. I also did a search for "Intel (R)", but so many things came up that I have no way of knowing if any of them could be related to the CMD.exe you referred to.

I also pressed the Windows button and "R"  and changed what came after C:\, to "Download" in case that was what you wanted. I got

"C:\Users\e***u>C:\Download

'C:\Download' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file."

I couldn't delete "Users\username>", so I guess that wasn't what I was supposed to do.

What else can we do to progress further?

Thank-you,

Cat_Mum

• 5. Re: Driver and Support Assistant won't reinstall correctly
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Cat_Mum
                  Thank you for your response, I am sorry to hear that there was a problem when following the instructions provided.
                  Let me forward the information to the proper department, I will reach you out as soon as we have an answer.
                  Best Regards,
                  Diego S.

• 6. Re: Driver and Support Assistant won't reinstall correctly
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Cat_Mum,
                    Thank you for your patience.
                    I have sent you a private message, please take a look to your inbox.
                    Best regards, 
                    Diego S.

• 7. Re: Driver and Support Assistant won't reinstall correctly
                      Intel Corporation

Hello Cat Mum,

I have sent you a private message, please go ahead and take a look into your inbox.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

• 8. Re: Driver and Support Assistant won't reinstall correctly
                        Cat_Mum

Sorry Diego S.

I have been unable to reply...

Mail Delivery Subsystem <mailer-daemon@googlemail.com>

16:43 (40 minutes ago)

to me

Error Icon

Address not found

Your message wasn't delivered to webadmin@intel.com

because the address couldn't be found or is unable to receive email.

The response was:

550 #5.1.0 Address rejected.

Final-Recipient: rfc822; webadmin@intel.com
                        Action: failed
                        Remote-MTA: dns; mga09.intel.com. (134.134.136.24, the server for the domain intel.com.)
                        Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 #5.1.0 Address rejected.
                        Last-Attempt-Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 13:43:50 -0700 (PDT)

• 9. Re: Driver and Support Assistant won't reinstall correctly
                          Cat_Mum

Hi Diego S. I just tried again to send you a reply with the details you wanted. Your mailbox is rejecting my emails.

Yes, I still need your help. After I tried your last suggestion, the notification box that I had 2 new updates started popping up on my screen again. When I clicked on it, I got a grey Intel page telling me I must update. When I clicked on the link to update, I got a red error box. 2 Screenshots included. If I can't get my details to you, then support can't contact me by phone and work with me to fix this. I don't know how we're going to fix this.

Cat_Mum

• 10. Re: Driver and Support Assistant won't reinstall correctly
                            Cat_Mum

Hi again, Diego S.

I am located in Ontario, Canada. Is there a North American Toll-Free number I can contact you at?

Thank-you,

Cat_Mum.

• 11. Re: Driver and Support Assistant won't reinstall correctly
                              Intel Corporation

Hello Cat_Mum,
                              Thank you your response.
                              I have sent you private message, please check your inbox.
                              Best Regards,
                              Diego S.   

• 12. Re: Driver and Support Assistant won't reinstall correctly
                                Cat_Mum

Dear Diego S.

You are not reading my posts. I can't reply to your private messages because your inbox is not accepting messages. It just refused my reply to you again.  And I'm not going to post my phone number on this forum. Shall I try to get my info through to you via chat?

Mail Delivery Subsystem <mailer-daemon@googlemail.com>

14:47 (1 minute ago)

to me

Final-Recipient: rfc822; webadmin@intel.com
                                Action: failed
                                Remote-MTA: dns; mga02.intel.com. (134.134.136.20, the server for the domain intel.com.)
                                Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 #5.1.0 Address rejected.
                                Last-Attempt-Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 11:47:16 -0700 (PDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
                                To: weeee <webadmin@intel.com>
                                Cc:
                                Bcc:
                                Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 14:46:44 -0400
                                Subject: Re: weeee has sent you a message -
                                Trying to reach your inbox yet again...
                                Dear Diego,  I doubt this will reach you because as I've said twice on the Intel Forum, your email may be sending emails, but it is not accepting them! I am not able to get through!

If Tech support is available on weekends, this weekend is fine, between 1 - 7PM EST.

My phone number is (***) ***-****

Cat_Mum

• 13. Re: Driver and Support Assistant won't reinstall correctly
                                  Cat_Mum

Well, Diego, I just did a search on the site to see if live chat was available for this product, and it's not. Since your mailbox is rejecting my emails to you (please read my posts: I CAN'T REPLY TO YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGES. INTEL MAILBOX WON'T LET ME!), would you please provide me with a toll-free number I could call to give my details to pass down to you, so Tech Support can contact me? If you wish, you can private message it to me because I can receive emails from you, I just can't reply.

Thanks,

Cat_Mum.