3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2018 2:18 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

NUC5I7RYH and RY0369.BIO

wheeler2

Currently I have "RY0367.bio" installed on a NUC5I7RYH. I downloaded the latest bios update file to a USB and attempted an install using F7 method, exactly as I have done with several previous bios updates in the past. This time it fails to update and simply seems to hang on a blank screen for a few seconds but then reboots into Windows OS as normally booting.  Am I supposed to disable secure-boot function temporarily while attempting to update? I did enable secure-boot initially after my last bios update. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

• 1. Re: NUC5I7RYH and RY0369.BIO
          N.Scott.Pearson

Correct; you will need to disable secure boot while updating the BIOS.

...S

• 2. Re: NUC5I7RYH and RY0369.BIO
            wheeler2

I appreciate your reply. It worked after I temporarily disabled secure-boot functionality. Clearly, that stipulation should be added to the general instructions since the update cannot proceed otherwise and it is not an obvious caveat.

While we are on the subject of secure-boot, what is the consequence of the option to "force secure-boot default settings"? I have not found an extensive paper to explain all aspects of the various settings in boot options configurations.

Incidentally, I discovered that the actual display of the options to use "F" keys (such as F2, F7, etc.), which can be set to appear while booting, does not appear when the secure-boot option is in use, regardless of whether their display is set to appear in the boot configuration. Does that make sense? Thanks.

• 3. Re: NUC5I7RYH and RY0369.BIO
              N.Scott.Pearson

Secure Boot is documented, as is the need to disable it during BIOS updates. Most of this is answered in industry-level documentation from Microsoft, etc.

...S