6 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2018 5:04 PM by polly

Intel stck1a32wfc - A great little Linux computer

polly

After experiencing a number of problems when running Windows 10, build 1709, I gave it best and decided to try Linux. I reformatted the hard drive to GPT with 3 partitions, 550Mb fat32, swap 5Gb, remainder ext4 mounted as / for combined root and home partition (adjust sizes to taste).

Then I tried various distributions (live at first) to see to what degree they would install.  I really wasn't expecting much, having read the published doom and gloom about Linux performance with this stick.  It seems that with kernels post 4.12, the situation has much improved with the standard download.

To whet your appetite, Mx and Netrunner Linux among others install straight up, Peppermint and Mint require a bit of tweaking to get the wireless adapter to work (see Peppermint Forum for fix).

The stck1a32wfc make a great Linux box: try your favourite distribution to see how it performs.  If you add a micro card, then you can have two distributions, one static and the other to experiment with.

• 1. Re: Intel stck1a32wfc - A great little Linux computer
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello polly

Thank you for joining the community and for sharing this feedback, hope this information is useful for other users.   

Regards,        
          Leonardo C.

• 2. Re: Intel stck1a32wfc - A great little Linux computer
            polly

Intel stck1a32wfc -continued - Some experiences when installing Windows 10 after Linux

Of course I realize that Linux is not for everyone, so a brief description is given here on what happened when I tried to reinstall Windows 10 on my now Linux computer.  Rightly or wrongly, since most of my troubles with W10 had something to do with hard disk space, I decided to try a different approach.

Windows 10 would be installed on a 1Tb usb hard drive.  This is possible using the free version of Wintousb.  Following the instructions, for maximum versatility, the hard drive was set up as mbr formatted with a 550 Mb FAT32 partition and the remainder as a NTFS partition.  The FAT partition is called the System partition and the NTFS partition the Boot partition.

All that is needed is a .iso or .esd file of the operating system to install and a separate computer running the 32 bit version of Windows 10.  Bearing in mind that it was April 2018, I chose Windows 10 version 1709 32 bit, Home since that Is what runs on the stick.  The Wintousb installation went smoothly.  From there on the installation process is, for want of a better word, finicky.

After the Wintousb installation has finished, turn off the installation computer and transter to the stick setup.  The first run will be done on the stick computer.  Use F2 to select 32 bit Windows operating system and F10 to select the correct boot entry and then proceed with the installation.  If all goes well, the end result is an installation of Windows 10 with the default MS graphics driver and no sound.

Go to the Intel website for stck1a32wfc drivers and install (in order) the SOC drivers (this sets up the platform) and then the Intel graphics driver which also contains the hdmi audio driver.  If you try to install the graphics driver first, you will get an error message.

Now you should have TV sound and Intel grahics.  All that is required now is to install the Windows 10 updates which are missing.  If you have a working installation, savour the moment before you start installing updates.

The above is what you would have got had you installed in April 2018, but after the (cumulative) May 2018 updates, all you will get if trying to install is a blue error screen.  So what to do?  At this point, I should say again that this is my experience and it only applies to my Intel stck1a32wfc computer.  If you don't have any problems, then good for you.  I have started from scratch umpteen times with no success.

After due consideration, I decided that something like this was a problem just waiting to happen.  After all, Intel gives the date of the latest bios 36 as January 2017, so to expect the stick to continue on and on is wishful thinking.  Someone did something to the W10 code and "something happened".

Current solution:  I have gone back to Windows 10 version 1607 -  the anniversary update.  A fresh install works.  Updates can be applied to bring it up to date using the May 2018 stand-alone 1607 cumulative update and Windows Defender will eventually track down the current protection files.

So now I have a stick computer which runs both Linux and Windows 10 and the heading of my first post can be modified to "Intel stck1a32wfc - A great little computer".

• 3. Re: Intel stck1a32wfc - A great little Linux computer
              Intel Corporation

Hello polly,

I understand that you can now work with both Windows* and Linux*.

Thank you very much for your input and I hope other community members find it useful for their needs. 

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your findings.

Regards,
              David V

• 4. Re: Intel stck1a32wfc - A great little Linux computer
                polly

HI David,

Yes that is correct.  Any suggestions that you could give me on sticking with Windows 10 version 1607 would be greatly appreciated.  I do not want to 'upgrade' to version 1709.

Thanks

polly

• 5. Re: Intel stck1a32wfc - A great little Linux computer
                  Intel Corporation

Hello polly,

Thank you for your response.

Regarding this inquiry, I would like to start by pointing out that this Intel ® Compute Stick does not support or has not been tested with dual-boot Windows/Linux. Also, Windows 10* is supported but only the 32-bit and not the 64-bit. Since this is the case, I would recommend to check which was installed and re-install the 32-bit version.

Here is some more information about the supported operating systems in the Intel ® Compute Sticks:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005899/mini-pcs/intel-compute-sticks.html

I hope this helps.

Regards,
                  David V

• 6. Re: Intel stck1a32wfc - A great little Linux computer
                    polly

HI David.

Yes it is the 32 bit version of Windows 10 that I installed.  Thank you for your help.

Regards

polly