4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2018 12:36 AM by vomisa

connecting external power switch to intel NUC

vomisa

My application involves placing the NUC inside a kiosk thus making the default power switch inaccessible.This link ( https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007309/mini-pcs.html ) provides a work around using the front panel header. Following this page I soldered wires on to pin 6 and pin 8 (GND). I tried applying a five volt pulse (for more than 50 ms) connecting pin 6 to positive terminal and pin 8 to ground with NUC connected to power supply. However this did not turn on the NUC. Could someone please point our where I am going wrong ?. Also pin 9 is marked as power out, can this be used to provide the pulse to start the NUC ?.

Model Number : D54250WYK

• 1. Re: connecting external power switch to intel NUC
          N.Scott.Pearson

I hope you didn't fry something, 'cause this was definitely not the smartest thing to do. This is a short-to-ground circuit. Simply connect (short) the two pins/wires together to affect a power change. Sorry, I am not sure how long you need to short the two together (it won't matter if you are putting a (normally open) momentary contact switch on the end of the wires.

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: connecting external power switch to intel NUC
            vomisa

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the answer. I did try connecting the two pins/wires together but that did not affect a power change. The Technical Product Specification says the following :

Pins 6 and 8 can be connected to a front panel momentary-contact power switch. The switch must pull the SW_ON# pin to ground for at least 50 ms to signal the power supply to switch on or off. (The time requirement is due to internal debounce circuitry on the board.) At least two seconds must pass before the power supply will recognize another on/off signal.

I did short them for more than 50ms. I even tried as long as 10 seconds, however there was no response.

• 3. Re: connecting external power switch to intel NUC
              N.Scott.Pearson

I am not sure what to say.

Are you sure you have the right pins? I short these two pins (with small screwdriver) to affect power on/off while bench testing boards (including NUCs). This header has had the same layout for pins 1-9 for like ~20 years.

Alternatively, are you sure that, when you applied power to pin 6, you didn't fry something upstream? I said it wasn't a smart move...

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: connecting external power switch to intel NUC
                vomisa

I was staring down the wrong set of headers! . Sorry for the goof up. When I finally shorted the correct pins the board booted up instantly. Thank you for the inputs Scott.