2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2018 11:12 AM by Intel Corporation

Intel Proset drivers causing blue screen on install

ozymandias12345

Hi,

I just bought a intel AC 9260 and whenever i try to install the Proset drivers my system crashes with a bug code of NDIS driver error.

Interestingly enough this only happens when installing version 20.0 or above for the drivers however I've had no luck with getting the wireless card to function with the older drivers.

• 1. Re: Intel Proset drivers causing blue screen on install
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello ozymandias12345,

Thanks for posting.

Just like any other device, not all wireless adapters are physically and electrically compatible with all systems. Intel does not recommend end users install or upgrade the various Intel® Wireless Adapter; you should always contact the Computer Manufacturer Support or its authorized representative to check which adapters are supported by your computer and replace it with them whenever possible.

For more information, please check the following advisories:

- Why Doesn't My Laptop Recognize My New Intel® Wireless Adapter?
          - Regulatory Information Regarding Hardware Installation or Upgrade

In order to avoid installation of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software, please install the latest driver only. Here's how to do it:

1. Download and extract our latest IT Admin driver package for your adapter. Make sure you download the file that includes the word "driver" on its name (for example, "WiFi_20.40.0_Driver64_Win10.zip").
          2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, or Apps & Features in Windows* Settings, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."
          3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."
          4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else, then press OK.
          5. Reboot your computer.
          6. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 again, this time choose to "Update driver software..." > Select the option to "Locate and install driver software manually." Here you will need to direct the wizard to the location where you extracted the IT Admin package back in step one.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Best regards,
          Eugenio F.

• 2. Re: Intel Proset drivers causing blue screen on install
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello ozymandias12345,

We haven't heard from you since the creation of this thread. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Best regards,
            Eugenio F.