3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2018 12:21 PM by Intel Corporation

Skylake and Coffeelake differences

Cookie_Monster

Why did Intel create the i9 for Skylake but not for Coffeelake ?

I find the problem with Coffeelake is that it's limited to only upgrading to other flavors of the i7 rather if one ever wants to upgrade to the i9 which can only be done though Skylake. I understand both are nm14 therefore I assume the difference, although I don't have the difference known is small between the two flavors ?

Why are most socket 2066 boards have some sort of problem one way or another, some people experience no flaws, while others experience a few flaws with this socket, then again; I guess that can be said with any board socket.

• 1. Re: Skylake and Coffeelake differences
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Cookie_Monster 

Thank you for joining the community.

Allow me to share with you that in the processor families there are variables to take into consideration at the time to make upgrades into the systems, could you provide us with more information about your system (RAM, motherboard, power supply) and the hardware that you have in mind to get for the upgrade?   

Regards,        
          Leonardo C.

• 2. Re: Skylake and Coffeelake differences
            Cookie_Monster

My system was socket 775 along with DDR2 RAM with a 850w PSU.  The motherboard has since died a few weeks ago and I was considering CoffeeLake but it's limited to only different versions of i7. In the other case Skylake opens up to upgrading from an i7 to i9; what is the better option and what are the differences between Skylake & Coffeelake ?

• 3. Re: Skylake and Coffeelake differences
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Cookie_Monster

Thank you for your response. 

advice customer that processors are designed for different  segments of the market, I cannot advise a specific processor to get at the of choosing a processor is important to take into consideration the use of that you are going to give to your system, allow me to share with you the fooling link https://ark.intel.com/ in here you can find about the features on the processors and make comparisons among the processors you find suitable for use you want to implement on your system.

Regards,
              Leonardo C.