2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2018 12:38 AM by kmic

Kodi crash when resuming HEVC video

kmic

Hello,

Driver crash during HEVC playback w/DXVA2 (resume)

Locked thread linked above described the problem with HEVC videos crashing while using DXVA2 decoding on Intel HD Graphics.

Answers in that thread say that the issue was solved with drivers version 15.47 for 6th Generation Graphics.

On my NUC6i3SYK (i3-6100U - so it's 6th generation) that exact problem occurs - I tested it on the most recent drivers (15.65) as well as on version 15.47.

Is the fact that i3-6100U is a mobile CPU a reason for that? Or should it work on new drivers anyway?

• 1. Re: Kodi crash when resuming HEVC video
          Ronald_Intel

Hello kmic,

Let me look into this situation. I believe the Core i3-6100U has a hybrid HEVC decoder, thus would explain why the fix mentioned in the previous thread is not applicable.

Just to make sure I am not shooting in the dark, do you mind completing the information as shown here: Default level information for reporting Graphics issues particularly the 'steps to reproduce'. I know this is also detailed in the previous thread, but I would like to check what are the variables in your case.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

• 2. Re: Kodi crash when resuming HEVC video
            kmic

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Resuming video encoded with x265 on Kodi results in Kodi crash.

Playing from the beginning of a video doesn't cause any problems.

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%):

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Intel NUC6i3SYK

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
            ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

no

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
            LFP
            = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
            EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

Samsung UE48J5600AW (TV)

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

8 GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
            ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

keyboard and mouse, HDMI cable

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

see attachment

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

Kodi v17.6

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

single display

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

1920x1080p 60Hz

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

AC

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
            A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

1. Install Kodi
            2. In Kodi go to Settings->Player Settings->Videos and enable "Allow hardware acceleration - DXVA2"
            3. Prepare x265-encoded video file (e.g. http://www.libde265.org/hevc-bitstreams/sintel-1080-cfg02.mkv )
            4. In Kodi go to Videos->Files->Add videos..
            5. Browse to a folder with the video file and confirm with OK button
            6. Go to Videos->Files and browse to the video and play it
            7. Fast forward to somewhere in the middle of the video
            8. Stop the video
            9. Browse to the video again and start it - then choose "Resume from..."
            10. Kodi crashes