3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2018 9:28 AM by RogerVc

Power issues in NUC7i5BNK

aisys

We are using NUC7i5BNK for our industrial application (robot). The main power to the robot (drivers and motors) is 24V coming from battery, however we reduce this by a regulator (10Amp) to 18V to supply the NUC (as NUC is supplied 12-19 V and Max 4-5 amps). It has happened to us several times that our NUCs are broken (never works, the only thing becomes on is LED) when the system switches (on/off) few times consecutively. We do know that during this switching we never have voltage and current surge as we are using a stable regulator to protect overcurrent/overvoltage. I am wondering what could be the reason behind this (it seems that NUC7i5BNK is so fragile). Even, we don't see any physical damage on the NUC boards to realize at least which part of NUC's motherboard has been damaged. If someone has any experience to share to figure out this issue, it will be very appreciated though. OR, do you think NUC7i5BNK is suitable for this kind of application, if not, please advise which model of NUC(s) would be better for industrial applications.

• 1. Re: Power issues in NUC7i5BNK
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello aisys, 

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

To ensure whether the external power you are using to supply your Intel® NUC is supported, please try using the Intel® NUC power adapter included with the unit and connect it to a monitor/TV to check if you get any display. You can also cross-test another power supply/ Intel® NUC power adapter if available. 
          Also, power up your unit without memory modules to check the processor status. If you get any blinking patter, please describe it. 

Wanner G

• 2. Re: Power issues in NUC7i5BNK
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello aisys, 

I am writing to follow up on your inquiry. 

Please let me know if you need any further help. 

Wanner G. 

• 3. Re: Power issues in NUC7i5BNK
              RogerVc

Also interested in the follow-up! We are also using the NUC7i5BNK for an industrial application, and powered by a battery (15V @5A max for the moment). Haven't had a problem so far and hope to keep it that way...