Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Three monitors plus laptop

tporc
Beginner

Hi Guys.

I'm running a Dell with a Core 15 and a 250 graphics card. I can link 2 more monitors off a dock without issue. I can link/run a third monitor without the dock (HDMI to DVI) but I fancy I'm loosing a little clarity etc. Would any body know if this is possible.

thanks

Tim

0 Kudos
5 Replies
tporc
Beginner

...Further to this. I meant I can run the same set up without the dock! I want to add another monitor (4 in total).

thanks

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Unless at least one of these monitors is connected via USB 3.0, you cannot use 4 monitors. The Intel HD Graphics engine built into your processor only has support for up to 3 monitors.

...S

0 Kudos
tporc
Beginner

Sorry and thanks for the quick response...So if I have a USB to DVI link to the fourth, this should be possible with the HDMI to DVI?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, let me qualify my answer this way: Presuming that you already have three monitors working, you can add a fourth monitor using a USB 3.0 adapter.

I purchased this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y681RPY Amazon.com: USB 3.0 to HDMI/VGA/DVI External Video Card, which will actually let me to connect one or two monitors (though I haven't tried using this extra capability as yet).

...S

0 Kudos
tporc
Beginner

You're a gentleman, thank you for your time. I'll try that.

0 Kudos