4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2018 6:42 AM by petrous

Best Option for FAN in a NUC7i5BNH {silent please}

petrous

Hello,

when you start for the first time A NUC7i5BNH, the fan is not very quiet.

So the solution is to go the BIOS and set the parameter of the CPU Fan Header (Cooling).

Here is my preset. But the processor is average at 60°C, and goes to 92°C when the fan begin to run at his maximum speed...

screen-cooling-system.bmp

Is it correct? Someone have better parameter ?

Thank you.

Regard.

• 1. Re: Best Option for FAN in a NUC7i5BNH {silent please}
          lw1948

1. Is your Bios updated to latest version? If not, please do it using Bios recovery option (with security jumper removed) BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC  . After updating your Bios, please set your bios to default settings (F9 (Y), F10 (Y).

2. You may also see Scott's recommendation in post 24 in the following thread: BIOS update for NUC7i5BNH causes fan speed settings to be ignored

Leon

• 2. Re: Best Option for FAN in a NUC7i5BNH {silent please}
            petrous

Hello,

thank for your answer. Yes BIOS is of course in the last version, wich is on 20180418 : BNKBL357.86A.0062.2018.0222.1644

And we read and tried all things from the post you showed, but no.

F9 fix nothing, and the parameters from are not very quiet... I really don't know if his custom parameters change something...

Our parameters are best, but T° problem... What are doing the developper with the NUC7i5BNB ?

Regard.

• 3. Re: Best Option for FAN in a NUC7i5BNH {silent please}
              N.Scott.Pearson

That is correct. My parameters are designed first to minimize psycho-acoustic effects, by providing a clean fan speed ramp across a temperature range (whereas all three default present ramp too slowly and then jump to maximum speed if it gets too hot, which is very noticeable and very annoying), and second to ensure that the processor stays in a temperature range that ensures long life for the processor. Your settings, while keeping the system quiet, essentially allow the processor to roast. People seem to think that, if they keep the temperature below Tjmax, then everything is honky dory. This is NOT true! The requirement is to keep the temperature below the processor's thermal load line. Any significant amount of time spent above the processor's thermal load line can be damaging to the processor over time. Bottom line, I implement the equivalent of the Tcontrol setting that is used in Desktop (regardless of the fact that the NUCs (mostly) utilize Embedded/Mobile processors, they *are* Desktop designs) - an offset below Tjmax that you want to maintain to ensure that the processor's thermal load line is not being exceeded.

When we talk about ultra small form factors, there is a balancing act that you must manage between thermals and acoustics. Fact is, because of the small size of the NUC chassis, we cannot use fans to cool the components. Instead, we are forced to use blowers, which are less efficient and, compared to fans, must thus spin at higher speeds to generate the same amount of airflow. These higher speeds are going to be louder. While every effort is made to pick a solution that is as quiet as possible, they solution simply cannot be silent.

The second part of the equation has to do with another aspect of psycho-acoustics. First of all, changes in blower speed are noticeable. If they are noticeable, they can become annoying. It is actually not the magnitude of the sound that annoys; it is the changes in the noise that keeps it forward in your awareness. If you hold the fan speed constant, on the other hand, then after a while folks will tend to lose their awareness of this sound and it becomes less noticeable and less bothersome. Secondly, we have to look at issues such as pitch. There are certain pitches (or ranges of pitches) that are going to be more annoying to a particular person. It might be different for another person.

So, where am I going with this? First of all, you want to make your changes in fan speed as small as possible, so that it is less noticeable. At the same time, you want to ensure that the pitch is not in a range that is annoying. The answer here is that, if your blower is staying in a range that generates an annoying pitch level, change the pitch. This can be accomplished by placing something between your ears and the NUC. A pile of books in front of the NUC would accomplish this. Better yet, attach the NUC to the back of your monitor to the back (or bottom) of your desk (this is why Intel gives you the VESA mounting plate).

At the end of the day, you are not going to make your NUCs absolutely silent. Live with it. This is the penalty that you have to pay to have an ultra small form factor design with as much power as the NUCs have. If you don't like it and can't live with it, then don't buy a ultra small form factor PC. Roasting your processor to keep it quiet isn't the answer. If it fails inside your 3-year warranty, sure, Intel is likely going to replace it, but once you go beyond that, if you want the NUC to last a goodly number of years (without having to replace it at your own expense), then you better take care of it.

Just saying,

...S

• 4. Re: Best Option for FAN in a NUC7i5BNH {silent please}
                petrous

Thank you very very much for a answer.

Very complete and now I understand very well.

And I made a lot of tests, and want share my results.

The best compromise for me is :

2.bmp

Better T° than before and more silent. Great job ! :-)