8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2018 6:47 AM by petrous

freeze when updating the BIOS Custom BackGround {NUC7i5BNH}

petrous

Hello,

in a BIOS, from a NUC7i5BNH, we have the possiblity to change the background. Great !

In fact, not really...!

1. When you are on visual BIOS settings
      2. and click on Set Custom Background (1024x768, .bmp),
      3. and select a 1024x768 72 dpi bmp image,
      4. you click on Open and BAM! screen is freezing.

Impossible to do anything else except ctrl-alt-del....

BIOS version: BNKBL357.86A.0062.2018.0222.1644

If someone have a idea to fix this bug,..

Thank you.

Regard.

• 1. Re: freeze when updating the BIOS Custom BackGround {NUC7i5BNH}
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello petrous
          Thank you for contacting us regarding BIOS crash issues that you are experiencing with our NUC7i5BNH (running on latest BIOS 0062.), it will be more than pleasure to provide you with assistance on this matter.
          In order for me to assist you better and to investigate further on your case, please provide me with the .txt file that the System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

On the meantime we are trying to replicate your issue in order to provide you with a suitable answer regarding the issue that you are facing with our unit.

I hope to hear from you soon.
          Best Regards,
          Diego S.

• 2. Re: freeze when updating the BIOS Custom BackGround {NUC7i5BNH}
            petrous

Hello,

here is the file. see attachement.

Please help.

Regard.

• 3. Re: freeze when updating the BIOS Custom BackGround {NUC7i5BNH}
              Intel Corporation

Hello petrous,
              Thank you so much for your response.
              I am currently taking your case as a reference in order to investigate further regarding your issue, along with higher management.
              This may cause a brief delay between our answers, however I will be in charge of contacting you back as soon as we have news about the freezing screen that you are experiencing.
              I really appreciate your patience.
              I hope to hear from you soon.
              Best Regards, 
              Diego S.

• 4. Re: freeze when updating the BIOS Custom BackGround {NUC7i5BNH}
                Intel Corporation

Hello petrous,
                Thank you for your patience.
                We just received an answer from the team in charge of reviewing your case; we would like to deeply apologize due to the fact that this feature is no longer working.
                As a matter of fact it will be removed from future BIOS versions.
                Our apologies again.
                Best regards,
                Diego S.

• 5. Re: freeze when updating the BIOS Custom BackGround {NUC7i5BNH}
                  petrous

Ok.

Thank you for your answer, but this not very cool.

So tell me how can I remove the "Intel" name at the start of the computer, and put the logo of my society.

Regard.

• 6. Re: freeze when updating the BIOS Custom BackGround {NUC7i5BNH}
                    N.Scott.Pearson

You use Intel Integrator Toolkit. You can download the package from here: Download Intel® Integrator Toolkit.

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: freeze when updating the BIOS Custom BackGround {NUC7i5BNH}
                      david.hollway

Hi Petrous,

To expand on N Scott Pearson's earlier answer - I think you might be confusing the "BIOS custom background" feature in Visual BIOS with the "splash screen" feature. The former is (or was, apparently) a feature to change the background color of the actual BIOS configuration screens.

The latter is what you see when you power on the NUC, and from your comments I think that's what you're trying to change. By default it just says "Intel NUC", white on black, but it can be customized very easily.

As the previous response said, you need to use the Intel Integrator Toolkit. The process is described very clearly in the toolkit documentation (section 2.3.2, page 14), and it's very simple, so I'll summarize it here.

You'll need:

-a logo file of your choosing (JPG, no more than 60KB size, and between 120x120 and 1920x1080 in dimensions),

-the unpacked Intel Integrator toolkit, specifically the ITK6.efi file,

-a FAT32-formatted USB memory stick (256MB or larger)

-the latest BIOS for your NUC. From the appropriate BIOS downloads page, obtain the BIOS in .BIO file format.

(note: for best results, save the logo file from MSPaint. The fancier JPG compression options used by higher-end graphics packages might not be supported by the BIOS)

To start, put the logo file, the .BIO file and the ITK6.efi file onto the USB stick.

Then, go into the BIOS of your NUC (F2) and configure the settings as you prefer (e.g. fan speeds, boot order, etc).

Make sure that "UEFI Shell" is enabled as a boot option.

Put the USB stick into the NUC.

Save and exit from the BIOS, and when it restarts, press F10 for the Boot Options menu.

Choose "Built in EFI Shell".

You should see the (white/yellow text on black) shell environment. After a short delay, you'll get a "Shell>" prompt.

Above it will be the list of available drives on your NUC. One of them will be your USB stick ("Removable HardDisk") - typically it'll be fs1 or fs0.

Change to the USB drive by typing fs1: (or fs0:, as determined above) and list the contents using the ls command to ensure that you're on the right drive.

Now you're going to use the ITK command to fuse the downloaded BIOS, the current BIOS settings, and your custom logo into a new customized BIOS that you can subsequently flash onto as many systems as you want (including your current one).

Type:

ITK6.efi –b –x myCustomBio.bio –ib DownloadedBio.bio –ic –il myLogo.jpg

...changing "myCustomBio.bio" to the name of the customized BIOS you wish to create, "DownloadedBio.bio" to the name of the BIOS you downloaded from Intel for your NUC, and "myLogo.jpg" to the name of your JPG logo file (don't omit the .jpg from the end).

All being well, ITK should report success. Type ls again to verify that a new .BIO file has been created on your USB drive (e.g. "myCustomBio.bio")

You can now reboot the NUC and update its BIOS using the new file - either press F7 during boot, or go into BIOS config using F2, then select the "Update BIOS..." option from the (wrench icon) tools menu.

The update process will make a couple of automatic reboots, during which you'll initially see the old logo, then a load of status text ("Preparing firmware block for update..." etc), then a final reboot.

All being well, you should see your new logo from then on.

I hope this helps, and that I didn't completely misunderstand your question.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: freeze when updating the BIOS Custom BackGround {NUC7i5BNH}
                        petrous

Hello,

thank you very much for this great tip. It works very well, and look so good.

Have a nice day. Thank to all people who help me in this thread !

Regard.