6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2018 8:20 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Motherboard compatablilty

Dj-prasad26

hello. I want to change my moherboard which is DH61WW. I have Intel® Core™ i5-2310 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz)  and i am looking for a good and compatible motherboard for my processor. waiting for some suggestions.

• 1. Re: Motherboard compatablilty
          Al Hill

You really do not want to do this as there is no benefit in doing so.

Your Sandy Bridge processor is not supported on Windows 10, if that is your goal.

Intel® Core™ i5-2310 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.20 GHz) Product Specifications

Does My Intel® Processor Support Microsoft Windows® 10?

Your processor uses socket LGA1155.  Intel stopped making desktop boards more than five years ago.  Unless your board is broken or malfunctioning, keep it.

If you really want a new board, you must search the other manufacturers (asus, msi, etc) for a board that has an 1155 socket, and is chipset AND BIOS COMPATIBLE with your processor which, in my opinion, is not worth salvaging.  Here are some asus boards that may satisfy your need:

Compatible Motherboards

Keeping your memory, power supply, and processor fan, while you might think that sounds good, is not worth it.  Remember, they are 7 years old as well.

So, get rid of the old system and get new(er) hardware.  Or, spend a lot of time searching the board manufacturers for a board that will not get you much in return.

Doc

• 2. Re: Motherboard compatablilty
            Dj-prasad26

windows10  is not my priority. i just want a new, fast motherboard. I need a new motherboard for my CPU espically for gaming and adding a graphics card that all this thing together can make my CPU more fast.

thankful for your reply. i need a help with one more thing, keep my motherboard and processor as it is and adding a graphics card will work? if yes how to choose a best and compatible graphics card.

• 3. Re: Motherboard compatablilty
              Al Hill

Adding an add-on graphics card is a good idea.  The problem is compatibility. Although new amd and nvidia cards will claim backward compability (PCIe x16 3.0 to PCIe x16 2.0) many have problems.  The good news is that many of the slightly older cards that are 2.0 based have drivers for windows 10.

Look around, choose carefully, and make sure there is a return or refund policy.

There is not much here, but you may want to take a look.

Tested Peripherals for Intel® Desktop Board DH61WW

Doc

• 4. Re: Motherboard compatablilty
                N.Scott.Pearson

Purchasing a replacement motherboard is not going to get you running any faster. It is the processor that defines how fast the system is going to work. Yes, you could upgrade to a 7 Series board, but this only gets you improved I/O capabilities. From a performance standpoint, the best thing you could do is maximize the amount of memory you have and maximize the speed of your system disk (i.e. get a SSD). With the price of memory these days, I realize that's not very palatable. As Al says, getting a better graphics card is a good idea, but you have to be careful with compatibility. Find someplace that supports "try before you buy", so that you aren't stuck with an incompatible card.

...S

• 5. Re: Motherboard compatablilty
                  Dj-prasad26

I'm running on win 8.1 pro. I looked after some 2 GB graphics card but confused, can you suggest me an example from which i can search for a graphics card al.hill

• 6. Re: Motherboard compatablilty
                    N.Scott.Pearson

It is really impossible to say. First of all, there is hardware compatibility. Every card claims that it is backwards compatible with PCIe 2.0. The problem is that some aren't really. Secondly, there is BIOS (firmware) compatibility. The Video BIOS implementations on some of these cards is not recognized by the older Intel BIOS releases.

Your best bet is to find someplace that will allow you (or them) test cards in your board before you purchase. Then, start with the better (newer) solutions and work your way backwards.

...S