10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2018 1:48 AM by lw1948

NUC7I3BNH Power State Indicator not working

N.J.

Dear Community,

I have an issue with my NUC since I upgraded the BIOS to the latest version 0062. After the successful upgrade, the Power State Indictator doesn't work anymore.

It doesn't work when I select the function for the Power Button LED

It doesn't work when I select the function for the Ring LED.

Selection HDD Activity works for both the Power Button LED and the Ring LED, so the components are not broken.

I can even set the Power LED and Ring LED to HDD Activity Indication simultaneously and they will both indicate properly.

Are the any known issues with the BIOS version and the Power State Indicator function?

• 1. Re: NUC7I3BNH Power State Indicator not working
          lw1948
          1. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Save the Bios file BN0062.bio Download BIOS Update [BNKBL357.86A]   on this stick and insert it into USB slot (NUC shall be OFF). Format this USB in Windows machine (not in MAC or Linux). Do not use Linux formatted USB.
          2. Press Power Button for about 3 seconds. You should release the Power Button soon as the power led changes color from blue to amber. NUC will reboot into Power Button Menu.
          3. Press F4 and the recovery shall start.
          4. When the recovery finishes, pull out the power cord.
          5. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON.
          6. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
          7. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.
          8. You can enter again to Bios setting to change the necessary settings.
          9. If you are not be able to reach the Power Button Menu, you can recover your Bios using Security Jumper Removed method: BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

Once your Bios is recovered, set the Bios to default settings:

1. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
          2. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.
          3. You can enter again to Bios setting to change the necessary settings.

Leon

• 2. Re: NUC7I3BNH Power State Indicator not working
            N.J.

Thanks for the reply Leon,

unfortunately re-flashing and resetting the BIOS configuration did not help.

Do you know a link to an old BIOS version to downgrade?

I think I had a version 003? before.. Probably 0038. Not sure.

Best Regards

• 3. Re: NUC7I3BNH Power State Indicator not working
              lw1948

Due to a security enhancement, it will not be possible to go to any BIOS earlier than BIOS 0054. Here you have the links:

Download BIOS Update [BNKBL357.86A]  ver 0060

Download BIOS Update [BNKBL357.86A]  ver 0057

Download BIOS Update [BNKBL357.86A]  ver 0054

Leon

• 4. Re: NUC7I3BNH Power State Indicator not working
                N.J.

Tried all 3 BIOS versions. No success at all.

I think I'll live with the issue and hope that some upcoming BIOS verisons can fix it unless someone else has another idea?!?

• 5. Re: NUC7I3BNH Power State Indicator not working
                  lw1948

During Bios recovery, did you open the bottom lead. Could be some cable is disconnected. See connector D on fig.2 page 19 https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC7i3BN_TechProdSpec.pdf  Check also other connectors.

Leon

• 6. Re: NUC7I3BNH Power State Indicator not working
                    N.J.

No, the case has not been opened for months.

I see that Connector D is the LED Ring Connector.

The LED Ring is flashing normally when I set it to "indicate HDD Activity", it remains inactive when I choose "Power State Indicator".

Same goes for the Power Button. It is flashing when "indicate HDD Activity" is configured, it remains inactive when "Power State Indicator" option is configured.

It appears that the board is just not able to indicate its powerstate through LEDs anymore. Standby, Deep Standby, etc isn't indicated by LED lighting as well.

Could be that the board itself is damaged so it can't light up the LEDs for powerstates, but it can light up when the HDD is active. Maybe some scratch on a printed circuit?!?

• 7. Re: NUC7I3BNH Power State Indicator not working
                      lw1948

If the LED is electrically connected, I don't Bellevue that some electrical failure can cause inactivity in Power State. It have to be some thing in settings. Did you try to set bios to default settings? Did you try check the brightness of S0 and S3 indicators (on Bios Power screen)?

Leon

• 8. Re: NUC7I3BNH Power State Indicator not working
                        N.Scott.Pearson

The details so far would seem to indicate that there is something going on in the microcontroller firmware. I suggest that you do two things:

1. Reinstall the latest BIOS using the jumper-based BIOS Recovery method. This is documented here: Intel NUC BIOS Recovery Update Instructions.
                        2. After powering back up, do the following:
                          1. At the BIOS POST Splash Screen, use F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
                          2. Use F9 (followed by Y) to reset the BIOS configuration to defaults.
                          3. Use F10 (followed by Y) to exit BIOS Setup saving the configuration.
                          4. At the BIOS POST Splash Screen, use F2 to enter BIOS Setup again.
                          5. Make the changes in the LED configuration necessary.
                          6. Make any other changes (Boot Order, etc.) necessary to boot properly.
                          7. Use F10 (followed by Y) to exit BIOS Setup saving the configuration.
                          8. Verify LED operation.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 9. Re: NUC7I3BNH Power State Indicator not working
                          N.J.

I tried everything you suggested multiple times.

Unless there are some settings that have some side-effects on the PSI functionality there is no reasonable setting I didn't try.

Reloading default settings was part of the procesudre when I tested multiple BIOSes.

Since both LEDs (Power Button and Ring) are working when HDD activity is set to show, there must be some error in the NUC which a user can't detect or change.

What I sitll could do is removing the power supply and CMOS battery over the next weekend to make sure the NUC forgets everything BIOS-related a user can set.

• 10. Re: NUC7I3BNH Power State Indicator not working
                            lw1948

Hello N.J.

I agree, you did what should be done. Probably there is some bug in the BIOS flash management software. If you know how to disconnect the CMOS battery, try this. Let the battery disconnected for 15 minutes. Before going to the battery,  I'll  pull out the power adapter cable and let the NUC be disconnected for few hours. I don't know how it can help, but why not to try?

Leon