2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2018 7:05 AM by morlaine

is broadband necessary to download Intel Driver and Support Assistant not working

morlaine

I have a Toshiba Satellite C55t-A 64-bit laptop with 8gb memory, and 2T hard drive.  Since updating to the latest Windows 10 version, I've been having some issues that some people suggested could be solved by updating my drivers.  In trying to do that, I was directed to a page to download Intel Driver and Support Assistant.  On that same page it said that broadband internet was required.  My internet speed is usually around 20 kb per second.  So, pretty slow.  Is there an alternative method that would allow me to update my drivers since I don't have broadband?

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: is broadband necessary to download Intel Driver and Support Assistant not working
          N.Scott.Pearson

First of all, your primary site for getting driver updates should be, in your case, Toshiba's support site. Using iDSA, you would be getting the generic releases of the drivers, which could, in some cases, cause serious problems. For example, the graphics drivers may have been modified by Toshiba to support unique attributes of the laptop's hardware. In this case, replacing it with the generic driver version could result in a system that does not display properly.

Secondly, your laptop's hardware is not supported, by Intel or Microsoft, with Windows 10. Most issues that you will encounter cannot be solved by driver download because, well, there are no drivers to download. Your hardware is only supported by the compatibility drivers from Microsoft (which you already have). Further, if you have problems on unsupported hardware, Microsoft will not provide assistance.

Bottom line, your concerns with download speed are moot; you have bigger problems to worry about.

...S

• 2. Re: is broadband necessary to download Intel Driver and Support Assistant not working
            morlaine

Thanks for the quick, honest, and understandable answer.  I wondered about the driver answer but since I'm not very techie I took their word for it.  I'm making headway albeit slowly.  Kinda like eating an elephant, one little piece at a time.  Thanks again for your time.  I'll mark this as answered.