11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2018 12:37 PM by Intel Corporation

Flashing monitor when waking from screensaver

BjoernH

Good day.

Occasionally my secondary monitor on the on-board Intel (R) HD Graphics 4600 on the MSI Z87-G43 main board flashes on and off at the rate of about 2 cycles per second after waking from the screensaver (video attached). Since I have already hooked up another monitor and it still behaves in the same manner, I have concluded that it's definitely the graphics adapter.

Has anyone else seen this before? Any advice?

Regards,

Bjoern

• 1. Re: Flashing monitor when waking from screensaver
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello BjoernH,
          Thank you for contacting us regarding the issue that you are experiencing with our Downloads for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST), it will be more than pleasure to provide you with assistance on this matter.
          In order for me to assist you better, please provide me with the .txt file that the System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-
          Based on the description of your thread, I noticed that you switched monitor and the issue is still present, byy any chance did you replace the cables as well?
          What type of cables are you using?
          Is it a brand new system or was it working before?
          I hope to hear from you soon.
          Best Regards,
          Diego S.

• 2. Re: Flashing monitor when waking from screensaver
            BjoernH

Thanks for your response Diego.

I replaced the older monitor, a Samsung SyncMaster 2253 LW with a brand new Asus VN248, including the cables which now use a brand new HDMI and power cable.

The older monitor was connected to the DVI port, so now we've ruled out the monitors, cables and the ports on the motherboard. This PC has been running for several years now.

I must mention that I've only started using the on-board display adapter recently when I installed an Oculus Rift VR device to my Radeon RX580 video adapter and moved the second LCD monitor to the on-board Intel 4600 video adapter.

Attached, please find the sys_info.txt file as requested.

Regards,

Bjoern

• 3. Re: Flashing monitor when waking from screensaver
              Intel Corporation

Hello BjoernH,
              Thank you for your response.
              In this case based on the brief description of your issue and the report that you shared, it seems that your system might have an issue with the switchable graphics configuration that you are running (based on SSU). We noticed as well that the drivers for your graphic portion from Intel (embedded GPU) are not updated.
              Please go ahead and update to the latest graphics drivers for your graphic controller Intel® HD Graphics 4600 here:
              https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27441/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-?product=81496
              Since you are running switchable graphics, please update manually the drivers by following these steps:
              1) Go to Device Manager.
              2) Expand the category Display adapters. Right click and choose Update Driver Software
              3) Then choose Browse my computer for driver software.
              4)  Click the Browse button on the side and look for the file that you used to store the download file of the driver.
              Then click OK to save your choice.
              Press the Next button here to move on with the procedure.
              5) Wait for a couple of seconds for the driver to be installed.
              6) Reboot your computer when prompted.
              To verify whether or not you have installed the driver correctly, you could check the driver version in Device Manager.
              1) Open Device Manager.
              2) Expand Display adapters option. Locate the Intel graphics device that you have, right click it and choose Properties.
              3) Go to Driver tab, verify the Driver Version and Driver Date is correct.
              As well, please contact your system manufacturer to make sure that your machine is set up properly to work with switchable graphics (BIOS)
              Please let us know the outcome, we hope to hear from you soon.
              Best Regards,
              Diego S.

• 4. Re: Flashing monitor when waking from screensaver
                BjoernH

Hi Diego.

I downloaded the latest driver package, win64_15.36.34.4889.exe. When I try to update the drivers as per your instructions, I get the following message:

"The best driver software for your device is already installed.

Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date."

Regards,

Bjoern

• 5. Re: Flashing monitor when waking from screensaver
                  Intel Corporation

Hello BjoernH,

Thank you so much for your response.
                  In this case please go ahead and download the zip.file for the latest drivers here:
                  https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27441/a08/win64_15.36.34.4889.zip

To avoid that error message, please go ahead and follow this steps in order to update your drivers:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KzoQDjMMY 
                  (The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.)
                  I hope to hear from you soon, please let us know the outcome.
                  Best Regards, 
                  Diego S.

• 6. Re: Flashing monitor when waking from screensaver
                    BjoernH

Hi Diego, I followed the instructions, updated the drivers to 10.18.14.4889 dated 12/14/2017, and rebooted the system.

The screen still flashes when I wake the screen saver.

Bjoern

• 7. Re: Flashing monitor when waking from screensaver
                      Intel Corporation

Hello BjoernH
                      Based on the brief description, let us ask, are you using a 3rd party screen saver app? Or are you suing the Windows Screen Saver?
                      Is the issue present only through a 3rd party app? Does it happen on Windows Screen saver mode as well?
                      Best Regards,
                      Diego S.

• 8. Re: Flashing monitor when waking from screensaver
                        BjoernH

No, I use the WIndows blank screen saver on a 20 minute delay. The power plan is set to "High performance" is set to turn off the display after 15 minutes. Maybe that's where the problem lies.  I will extend the power off delay to 30 minutes and see what happens.

Regards,

Bjoern

• 9. Re: Flashing monitor when waking from screensaver
                          BjoernH

I set the power off delay to 30 minutes while the screen saver is still at 20 minutes, however, the flashing screen still persists.

I have now switched off the screen saver and set the power off delay to 20 minutes. Observing.....

Bjoern

• 10. Re: Flashing monitor when waking from screensaver
                            BjoernH

With the screen saver deactivated and a 20 minute delay on the "High performance" power plan, it still flashes after waking. I then switched the power plan to Balanced (recommended) and it still flashes.

Bjoern

• 11. Re: Flashing monitor when waking from screensaver
                              Intel Corporation

Hello BjoernH,

Just for testing purposes, is there chance for you to temporarily remove your discrete card, and allow the embedded graphics of the CPU to take control over the system to check if the flicker screen persists?
                              If it is possible, can you test in vice versa as well (allowing just the discrete card to take control)?

Please go ahead and test it so you can share the results with us.

Best Regards,

Diego S.