Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Macbook Pro Mid 2010 17in Windows 10 HD Graphic Driver

DVers
Beginner

Hi,

My Laptop is:

Macbook Pro Mid 2010 17in

VGA Cards:

- Intel HD Graphics (Intel Core I5 M540)

- nVidia GeForece GT330M

I installed successful Windows 10 Pro on this laptop with all drivers.

But VGA (Graphics) Drivers got issue:

(This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31))

(Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43))

(Please view the image files)

I try installed many driver version but got issues and many problems.

When install HD Graphics Driver on this Macbook Pro, this being suddenly restart.

I am trying install new Windows 10 in this macbook and re-install the drivers but got same issue when install HD Graphic Driver.

Can you help me about the HD Driver Graphic for this Macbook Pro with Windows 10 OS?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Your processor and Intel graphics are not supported on Windows 10.

Also, you will need to contact Apple for support.

Doc

0 Kudos
DVers
Beginner

Hi Al Hill,

Thanks for your reply.

I know about the no support Windows 10 OS with this cpu and intel graphic.

But in this case we have any way to fix this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, there isn't. The problem is that, because it is not supported, there is no driver provided by Intel to manage the Intel HD Graphics engine. Instead, Microsoft provides a "compatibility" driver that makes a best-effort attempt to support it. The problem is you have a laptop with hybrid (dual engine) graphics and the compatibility driver does not know how to handle this.

...S

0 Kudos
DVers
Beginner

Hi N. Scott Pearson,

Thank for your reply.

I finding the way to "mod" some driver for this case

Thanks

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

With the time and effort you will spend on this, plus the frustration of failure and functionality, and the fact that you will still be unsupported, you could simply purchase new or newer hardware that is supported.

Doc

0 Kudos
DVers
Beginner

Hi Al Hill,

Thanks for your reply.

This is for some funny about technical.

After that, I was re-install Windows 7 on this Laptop

Thanks

0 Kudos
JWang116
Beginner

Hi DatVerse

I just want to report that it's totally fine to run https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/whats-new/whats-new-windows-10-version-1803 Windows 10 ver. 1803 on Macbook Pro Mid 2010, mine is a 15in model.

The trick part is you should find a way, when try to install Windows 10, to boot the install system in Legacy BIOS mode instead of UEFI.

By doing so, you won't see the Intel Graphic card any more in Windows, but only the nVidia one, no more 'graphic card switching' problem.

The special implicit rule for this specific model of Macbook Pro is:

- if use USB to boot, it only support UEFI mode, so do not use USB bootable stick, but,

- if use DVD to boot, you could choose between UEFI and BIOS mode, choose BIOS mode

with BIOS mode to boot, the Windows 10 needs to install into a hd/ssd in MBR mode.

And that's all.

If you are still interested in installing Windows 10 in this model and got any question, I'll be very happy to give any help.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

frank, you misunderstand. There is a difference between "running" and "supported". I have NEVER said it would not run. I said Windows 10 was UNSUPPORTED.

And, my referral for this to Apple is at the request of Apple.

Doc

0 Kudos
JWang116
Beginner

Hi Al_Hill,

From a user's point of view, I'm not quite sure there's any difference between 'running' and 'supported'.

Here I offered a solution to get rid of this problem, which I think was main concern of OP, to 'fix it'.

People come to this 'Comunity' forum, not only for "official support" but also for "help to fix".

That's not said your referral for this question to Apple was wrong, and I totally understand that any industry product has a life cycle and this one is just out of support 'officially'.

It's totally ok for me that you said "no, we could not help you on this", however, I disagree that "it not worth it to dig a solution for it, just buy a new one".

Maybe your advice would be a correct answer for most "unsupported" situations, but not for this one.

Yes, I have spent a weekend on running Windows installation for about 10 times, but see what I've got:

- a running Windows 10 on my old Macbook

- tons of technique details about UEFI/GPT/BIOS/MBR

- share the solution here to try help anyone who has similar question

and if you ask me, I would say it's quite worth it.

Frank

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I am truly glad that things are working so well for you.

But, you will find no support here for windows 10 for a processor and graphics that are eight years old.

The support on this forum is for official support, not for workarounds or hacks. There are plenty of other forums where you can accomplish that.

And, as I said, you should be on Apple's support forum, as they have requested all issues regarding their product be sent to them.

Good luck moving forward.

Doc

0 Kudos