4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2018 11:53 AM by N.Scott.Pearson

How to get temperature of Intel Compute Stick?

ekehc68

Hello, I'd like to observe temperature of CPU of Intel Compute Stick STK2MV64CC via a program in C++ or C# etc.

Shown below is the proglam I put into another device for the same purpose.

---

var pc = new System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter("Thermal Zone Information", "Temperature", "\\_TZ.TZ00");

Console.WriteLine("condition.degree\t" + (pc.NextValue() - 273.15f) + "\t" + System.DateTime.Now);

---

It doesn't work on this computer.

Is there any better way to acquire the data?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: How to get temperature of Intel Compute Stick?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello ekehc68,
          Thank you for contacting us regarding the questions that you have about monitoring the temperature on your Intel® Compute Stick STK2mv64CC; it will be more than pleasure to provide you with assistance on this matter.
          In this case we strongly recommend using our Download Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU) in order to monitor the temperature of your device.
          Here you will find the direct link to download:
          https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-
          Please test it out and let us know the outcome.
          I hope this helps.
          Best Regards,
          Diego S.

• 2. Re: How to get temperature of Intel Compute Stick?
            ekehc68

Hello,  Thank you for your support.

I want to query value of temperature continuously with a program to use it in an alive monitoring tool.

Does Intel XTU response to query and give it us?

Anyway, I'll install the application into my device and try to get information I need.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: How to get temperature of Intel Compute Stick?
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello ekehc68,
              Thank you for your response.
              In this case the tool will tell you the temperature among other features but will not work specifically as you wish.
              Our best recommendation will be to look for either a 3rd party tool that meet the requirements that you are looking for, or to get in touch with C++ forums in order to get their support and maybe to gather recommendations from the other community peers.
              I hope this helps
              Best Regards,
               Diego S.

• 4. Re: How to get temperature of Intel Compute Stick?
                N.Scott.Pearson

Sorry, but the Compute Stick's ACPI implementation does not include support for Temperature Zones. Temperature Zones are only guaranteed to be supported in systems that (also) include support for Passive Cooling. The Compute Sticks utilize Active Cooling, wherein a device monitors temperatures and makes decisions regarding fan speed, so no support for Passive Cooling is necessary.

Because ACPI Temperature Zones are only guaranteed to be supported in systems that support Passive Cooling, a general reliance on them for monitoring processor temperatures is not a good practice. The more appropriate and consistent methodology is to access the processor's IA32 Thermals Model-Specific Registers (MSRs), which allow monitoring of per-core temperatures as well as (where supported) processor package temperature. Unfortunately, readings processor MSRs is a privileged operation and thus a device driver is required to support these operations. Implementing support can thus be quite complex.

If you are looking for third-parties that provide this kind of support, I suggest that you look into programs like CoreTemp, HWMonitor, AIDA64, etc. I believe that the CPUID Organization (who produce such applications as CPU-Z and HWMonitor) have a SDK that provides support for this functionality (see here for more information).

Hope this helps,

...S