4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2018 5:31 PM by Intel Corporation

HD 620 Generic Freeze

niconuma

Hi all,

I've been suffering from this generic freeze issue with my Lenovo X270 since last September right out of the box.

Unfortunately, Lenovo (Japan) support has been very passive about this and doesn't agree on a full replacement.

The machine has been sent for checkups (four times!), and came back with seemingly irrelevant 1) SSD cable 2) SSD replacement, then on the fourth check they swapped out everything internal.

Yet the problem still persists.

I've made a post on Lenovo community hoping for help and I did, but without much solution.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Win 10 freezes randomly. Inputs are accepted but screen does not refresh, to be exact. (e.g., I open a notepad before freeze. Screen freezes. While freezing, I type "Hello world" to the notepad. Screen does not refresh. Once unfrozen, the inputs are all reflected.)

Issue doesn't seem to be tied to any software as it happened 1) right out of the box 2) Clean OS installation with disk partitions wiped 3) Not too sure but Safe mode. Can't find a thing that triggers the freeze/unfreeze.

The freeze seems to affect only the LFP as I can move my cursor to EFP while the machine freezes. (EFP refreshes normally)

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")

Always (100%): X

Often (51-99%): X

Sporadic (20-50%): X

Very Sporadic (<20%): X

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Lenovo X270

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?
      ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Intel HD Graphics 620 only. No other graphics card or such.

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below).
      LFP
      = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)
      EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP and/or EFP

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

16GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.
      ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

With or without the following:

1. USB mouse

2. HDMI cable

3. USB C cable

4. AC adapter

5. SIM card

6. SD card

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

driverid.PNG

Software (SW)

Operating System version (see note2 below).

Win 10 1709 Build 16299.309

VBIOS (video BIOS) version. This can be found in “information page” of CUI (right click on Desktop and select “Graphics Properties”.

Graphics Driver version; for both integrated Intel and 3rd party vendors (see note2 below).

Intel HD 620  v23.20.16.4849

SW or Apps version used to replicate the issue.

Varies

Configurations

Single display, clone, or extended (see note2 below).

Single display or Extended

Display resolution & refresh rate setting of each display (see note2 below).

1920x1080 @ 60hz on both LFP and EFP

AC or DC mode, i.e. is power cable plugged in or not?

Both

How to repro

Please provide steps to replicate the issue.  These steps are very crucial to finding the root cause and fix.
      A screenshot to illustrate the issue is a huge plus. A video of the failure is even better! Attach to the post or provide the YouTube link.

No specific steps to trigger the issue but I have some videos showing the screen before/while/after freezing

1. X270 freeze - Google Photos

I have tried updating to the latest drivers but they seemed to have worse freeze frequency than old ones (e.g.21.20.16.4664).

v21.20.16.4664 had no freeze in a week, but had 7~10 within 30 minutes yesterday night right when I thought this problem was solved.

All drivers are updated to its latest version via LVantage (updater) and online update lookup in Device Manager.

I ran SSD, memtest, and motherboard tests to eliminate hardware issue. Also installed Ubuntu and used it for a while to see if it is a Windows problem; seems like it is limited to Windows.

Lenovo support team has also done a remote session to check my drivers, various settings, and Event Logs but found nothing unusual.

There is no known way to reproduce and is giving me a headache.

Help is much appreciated.

Sincerely,

niconuma

• 1. Re: HD 620 Generic Freeze
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello niconuma,

I understand that you are currently experiencing issues with the system as it is freezing at random moments.

Regarding this I suspect it is more related to a hardware issue rather than a software problem, however as a troubleshooting step I would like you to update the current graphics driver, this is a generic driver that properly works with your system, however, remember that we always recommend to install the latest one from the OEM.

Please download the ".zip" file from the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-65-?product=96551

Once downloaded, please follow these steps:

1 - Unzip the file to a designated location or folder. 
          2 - Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
          3 - Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control. 
          4 - Expand the Display adapters section. 
          5 - Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software. 
          6 - Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
          7 - Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
          8 - Click "Have Disk". 
          9 - Click "Browse". 
          10 - Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics". 
          11 - Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh". 
          12 - Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed. 
          13 - Reboot your computer

After this is done let us know the outcome please.

Regards,
          David V

• 2. Re: HD 620 Generic Freeze
            niconuma

Hello David,

Thank you for the response.

I also hope this is a hardware issue, however Lenovo repair center refuses to do anything as they couldn't reproduce the issue in the last three checkups (which lasted over a month in total!)

I have tried using Ubuntu for a few hours to test whether it is a problem related to the hardware or not, and I'm 70% sure it is software related as it didn't happen in Ubuntu.

Anyways, I have manually installed the latest drivers from the link.

Still no fix; a long freeze occurred right after updated. There is also a side effect of background image turning into screen full of 1px grey dots in the previous and latest drivers.

niconuma

• 3. Re: HD 620 Generic Freeze
              Intel Corporation

Hello niconuma,

Thank you for your response,

Regarding this, if our driver has not properly functioned I would strongly suggest you to try the latest validated version from the Lenovo website: 

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/uu/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x270/downloads

* Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. *

This is because we supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customization, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. To avoid potential installation incompatibilities, we recommend that you first check with your computer manufacturer and use the driver software provided.

Regards,
              David V

• 4. Re: HD 620 Generic Freeze
                Intel Corporation

Hello niconuma,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Were you able to try the drivers provided by the OEM (Lenovo)? 

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,
                David V