6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2018 12:18 AM by lw1948

2 X 2TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD in NUC6i7KYK??

rizzla08

Hello,

I have a skull canyon NUC and two Samsung 960 PRO 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSDs. My thought was to install these both and have 4TB of use-able space. When I install both drives and boot my NUC (Ubuntu 16.04), I only see 2TB of available space. Is there something I need to mod in the settings or otherwise to have the NUC recognize all 4 TBs? Or is it inherently unable to use that much space?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: 2 X 2TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD in NUC6i7KYK??
          lw1948

I'm assuming that the new SSD is recognized in Bios (you can enter Bios settings by pressing F2 during boot process and check it). In order to use the new drive in Ubuntu, it should be initialized in the system. Follow the following guide how to add new drive in Ubuntu: InstallingANewHardDrive - Community Help Wiki  .

Hope this helps

Leon

• 2. Re: 2 X 2TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD in NUC6i7KYK??
            rizzla08

Screenshot from 2018-03-30 17-11-48.png

well, I put the SSDs in the NUC before I ever even booted it for the first time. That is, both the drives were in there when I installed Ubuntu (from USB stick). Above is an output from the 'sudo fdisk -l' command. It appears that only *one* of the two drives is being used, though both are recognized? /dev/nvme0n1 appears to be used, while /dev/nvme1n1 appears to be dormant. I am making that assumption just because less info is output about /dev/nvme1n1. Is this just a matter of mounting /dev/nvme1n1? You'll have to excuse me if that is a dumb/obvious question. i'm a bit new at putting my own system together and wrangling it from the CLI.

Thanks for your reply!

• 3. Re: 2 X 2TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD in NUC6i7KYK??
              rizzla08

Screenshot from 2018-03-30 17-35-26.png

for what it is worth...I tried to manually mount that drive (/dev/nvme1n1) and I got the above error/output...

• 4. Re: 2 X 2TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD in NUC6i7KYK??
                lw1948

Since Linux is not supported O.S. for NUC (Supported Operating Systems for Intel® NUC Products ), usually in this forum we don't give support for questions related to Linux. In the beginning I've to admit that I've no experience with Linux too. Therefore I've sent you link to tutorial in Linux forum. I strongly suggest that in case that you are not be able to follow this manual, please address your questions to Linux forum. However, reading your answers, I came to conclusion, that you didn't followed the Linux forum tutorial. My understanding is that before you are going to mount this additional drive, you should define partition on this drive and that format it. According what I understand from this tutorial you shall execute the following commands:

To determine the path that your system has assigned to the new hard drive, open a terminal and run:

sudo lshw -C disk

Assuming that Logical name founded after executing the above command is:  logical name:  /dev/nvme1n, the following command will start the partitioning of this disk:

sudo fdisk /dev/nvme1n

Type "n" and press enter.

Enter "p" and enter.

Since this will be the only partition on the drive, number 1. Enter "1" and enter.

If it asks about the first cylinder, just type "1" and enter.

Now that the partition is entered, choose option "w" to write the partition table to the disk. Type "w" and enter.

If all went well, you now have a properly partitioned hard drive that's ready to be formatted. Since this is the first partition, Linux will recognize it as /dev/nvme1n1, while the disk that the partition is on is still /dev/nvme1n. The following command will format your disk:

sudo mkfs -t ext3 /dev/nvme1n1

Now you need create the mount point:

sudo mkdir /media/mynewdrive

Now, to automatically mount this drive at Ubuntu boot:

sudo nano -Bw /etc/fstab

Add this line to the end:

/dev/nvme1n1 /media/mynewdrive ext3 defaults 0 2

You can now run "sudo mount -a" (or reboot the computer) to have the changes take effect.

I hope that that I correctly understood this tutorial and it will be helpful to you.

Leon

• 5. Re: 2 X 2TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD in NUC6i7KYK??
                  tapas1269

Hi Leon,

I have the same problem with NUC6i7KYK running Win10.0 - originally had 250 GB and recently added 1 TB SSD in the second slot but it does not recognize it.  As you said, it is detected in BIOS.  Any solution!!!!

Thanks,

tapas1269

• 6. Re: 2 X 2TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD in NUC6i7KYK??
                    lw1948

Hi tapas1269

Please follow these steps:

Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Disk Management.

• If you don't see the 2'5" drive in Disk Management, press Action in menu and then Rescan Discs.
                    •      If your see the new drive but it is not initialized, Right-click the drive marked as "Unknown" and "Not Initialized," and select Initialize Disk.
                    • Select GPT (GUID Partition Table) and press OK
                    •      Once the drive is initialized, right-click the Unallocated space, and select New Simple Volume
                    •      Click Next.
                    •      Choose the volume size or leave the default size if you're planning to use the entire hard drive to store files.
                    •      Click Next.
                    •      Select a drive letter from the drop-down menu.
                    •      Click Next.
                    •      Select the NTFS file system.
                    •      On "Allocation unit size," leave the Default option.
                    •     Type a descriptive name in Volume label field.
                    •     Clear the Perform a quick format option.
                    •     Click Next.
                    •     Click Finish. Once you completed the steps, Windows 10 will set up a new partition and properly format the hard drive.
                    • If your drive is initialized, you need only to format it.  Right-click the drive you want and click Format.
                    •     Type a descriptive name.
                    •     Select the NTFS file system.
                    •     On "Allocation unit size," leave the Default option.
                    •     Clear the Perform a quick format option.
                    •     Click OK.
                    •     Click OK on the warning message. Once the formatting process completes, you can then begin to store files on the hard drive.

Hope this will help

Leon