0 Kudos
6 Replies
TPere5
Beginner

its a i7

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Which i7? There are 8 generations of the i7.

Doc

0 Kudos
TPere5
Beginner

I7 -3770 @ 3.40GHS it encodes 4.4 GB of video in 25 minutes and my old dual core PC does it in 3 hours

but I dont want to overheat and damage my precious processor , I have a lot of videos to encode

how oftten can I encode to .h264 4.4GB of videos mny temps go to above 100 C on al 7 CPUs

Thanks

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You don't need to slow your encoding rate; you need to fix your cooling solution! Your processor should not be getting this hot at all, regardless of the operations that you perform. You need to look into whether,

(a) The cooling solution is adequate for this processor.

(b) The cooling solution is properly attached to the processor and has the correct amount of good thermal interface material (paste) between them.

(c) The fan speed control programming (typically set in the BIOS) is correctly set to keep the temperature at or below your processor's Tcontrol temperature.

...S

0 Kudos
TPere5
Beginner

Thanks one last question with extra cooling what temperature should I aim for constant 100% CPU use so I can get all my encoding done

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I just explained it. You want to set your fan speed control to keep the temperature below your processor's Tcontrol temperature. There are other conversations where I explain how to obtain your processor's Tcontrol temperature, so I won't go into it here (hint: search using the "Tcontrol" and "MSR" terms).

By definition, in the absence of other information, the processor cooling fan/blower/pump should be running at 100% duty cycle (i.e. full speed) if the temperature is above the Tcontrol temperature.

...S

0 Kudos