4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2010 4:50 PM by Dan_O

IPMI tool on dellpoweredge

I am new to IPMI and servers. I am using intel ipmitool .. but while doing that im getting following error:

Timeout waiting for IBF to clear before sending write start. Error sending command to BMC.

I have spent a week on this but no clue.. could anyone please help me to get rid of this.

• 1. Re: IPMI tool on dellpoweredge

hi Krish,

quick question: how you sending IPMI commands via IPMI tool ? either IB or OOB?

below is the protcol to send via OOB:

#ipmitool -H <BMC ip Address> -I lanplus -U root -P superuser shell

ipmitool > sdr     # it will display the SDR values/settigs

ipmitool > raw 06 01  # it will respod with device Id.

Let me know if you have any questions.

for IB:

• 2. Re: IPMI tool on dellpoweredge

Hi Kamal,

Thanks for ur reply.

In the documentation of IPMI tool there are some commands like : IPMITOOL 20 18 1 --> to know HSC version number .

* IPMITOOL -if isa_smm C0 18 1 --> to know mBMC number etc..

I dont know whether those commands are IB or OOB.

As you cited "ipmitool -H <BMC ip Address> -I lanplus -U root -P superuser shell" i dont know BMC ip adress . How can i know that i.e., is there any command like ipconfig.

As per my knowledge the commands i used doesnt involve any BMC ip address , so they are inband , am i right..

Operating system im using is windows2003 server.

One more doubt is while working with IPMI , user should have admin previleges ?? or otherwise also work.

Please correct me if my interpretation is not proper.

• 3. Re: IPMI tool on dellpoweredge

Hi Krish,

Looks like you are using windows based IPMITool and sending command via InBand..

I have worked only on linux based IPMITOOL not on windows based.

If you badly want to check the BMC response, use Ipmiutil tool [The source license is BSD]

BTW, one correction: IPMITOOL 20 18 1  -> will fetch you the "Device ID of the BMC not the HSC device ID"

Ans#2 :

To enable LAN access to BMC, you can use below command sequence [You can also enable via BIOS setup aswell]

Note: below i have used cmd tool[dos based]. which will be distributed along with intel systems.
              ENABLE LAN ACCESS TO BMC :

cmdtool 20 18 01

cmdtool 20 30 02 01 04 00 00 (Get lan ip source)

cmdtool 20 30 01 01 04 01 ( Set static ip)

cmdtool 20 30 01 01 03 <IP address in hex>

cmdtool 20 30 01 01 06 <sube net mask>

cmdtool 20 30 01 01 0c <gate way>

• 4. Re: IPMI tool on dellpoweredge

Also, specific to Windows-based IPMI tools, there is a difference between the Intel and the Microsoft IPMI driver.  They often prevent each other from working, if both happen to be installed.