5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2018 7:06 AM by Intel Corporation

HDD (D:) Disappeared After Using Intel RST

WilliamW

Hello,

I just updated my Windows 10 ASUS K501UX computer and used the Intel RST because it seemed like it would free up space on my computer so I said "Ok." Today, when I started up my computer, my entire D: drive has gone "missing" - I think it was combined with my C: drive, and I cannot seem to access my personal files! Is there a way to undo this action or to separate the drives to what they used to be?? Thank you in advance for any help!!

• 1. Re: HDD (D:) Disappeared After Using Intel RST
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi WilliamW,

I understand you tried to free up some space on the disk and you ran the Intel® Rapid Storage, now you are not able to find the other drive with personal information. Let me help you on this matter. 

If you are saying that one of the drives are missing, this means that it might have created a RAID array on the computer. I would like to know exactly the current status of RAID array that was created.
          Try the following steps to check the array status.
          1. Open Intel® Rapid Storage software
          2. Please send a screenshot the status screen, just like the attached picture. 

Regards, 

Allan J

• 2. Re: HDD (D:) Disappeared After Using Intel RST
            WilliamW

Hello  Allan,

I really hope that you can help me. Most of my files were on my HDD because it is 1TB and now I cannot locate them....furthermore, on "This PC", it shows my total amount of storage as 120 GB whereas before it had that IN ADDITION to my 1TB HDD.

I hope to hear from you soon,

William

• 3. Re: HDD (D:) Disappeared After Using Intel RST
              Intel Corporation

Hi WilliamW,

Thank you for the image. 

I was afraid to see a RAID 0 on your computer configuration, to be honest, this type of array does not help to recover the information. The problem is that since this is a RAID 0 the information is stored as striped on the drives and uses the smaller drive to combine data. The combination of the drives for RAID 0 is 238GB

Please bear in mind that Intel® Rapid Storage helps to increase performance or backup the information. See more information at https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/rapid-storage-technology.html

I regret to inform you that you will need to reset drives to Non-Raid and reinstall the operating system.
              1. Enter RAID BIOS to reset the driver, you may need to check with your computer manufacturer and look for instructions on this matter. 
              2. Reinstall the operating system. This is because you will break the array and no information will be available to boot the system. 

In case you need more assistance or if you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us back.

Allan J 

• 4. Re: HDD (D:) Disappeared After Using Intel RST
                WilliamW

Hi Allan,

Does this mean that there is no way for me to recover any information? Essentially, does this mean that I will need to reformat my entire laptop? If so, I am incredibly disappointed by this news, as you can imagine, and am appalled that Intel did not issue even a warning of this possibility before popping up and suggesting it to me. I simply updated my computer and then Intel RST popped up immediately, making it appear to be important and necessary. This was deceiving and I am extremely frustrated. Please let me know if there is ANY way to "undo" the action of striping data or of recovering data.

• 5. Re: HDD (D:) Disappeared After Using Intel RST
                  Intel Corporation

Hi WilliamW,

Since RAID 0 does not offer redundancy, you will need to reinstall the operating system and reset your drives to Non-Raid, this will erase all data from your computer. 
                  If you need to recover any data, perhaps, taking the computer to a data recovery company can help you with your information.

Again, Intel® Rapid Storage is not a software to free up space, this is to create backups or performance. 

Regards, 
                  Allan J.