8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2018 2:12 PM by Akisviete

What controller is used in usb-c NUC7ixBNB?

Akisviete

As I understand the NUC7i5BNB and NUC7i7BNB use a usb-c thunderbolt 3 controller - what model is it from https://ark.intel.com/products/series/87742/Thunderbolt-3-Controllers ?

Another question is what controller model is NUC7i3BNB is using to support usb-c usb 3.1 gen 2 and display port 1.2? Are they not the same controllers?

I could not find the information in https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC7i3BN_TechProdSpec.pdf and https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC7i5BN_NUC7i7BN_TechProdSpec.pdf

Thanks!

• 1. Re: What controller is used in usb-c NUC7ixBNB?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Akisviete,

I understand you are interested in knowing the model of the USB-C controller.

Regarding this, we are currently looking into it to provide you with the most accurate information, we will be getting back to you as soon as we have it.

Regards,
          David V

• 2. Re: What controller is used in usb-c NUC7ixBNB?
            Akisviete

Thank you, just to repeat myself - in i5 and i7 nuc there is a thunderbolt 3 usb 3.1 gen 2 displayport 1.2 controller. In i3 there is (maybe there is not?) a usb 3.1 gen 2 displayport 1.2 controller (no thunderbolt 3). I would like to know the part names as some of them are mentioned on intel's site at https://ark.intel.com/products/series/87742/Thunderbolt-3-Controllers

Thanks for the reply.

• 3. Re: What controller is used in usb-c NUC7ixBNB?
              Intel Corporation

Hello Akisviete,

Thank you for your response,

Could you please indicate why you would like to have this information? This question is just to know what kind of implementation you are trying to do or the reason.

Regards,
              David V

• 4. Re: What controller is used in usb-c NUC7ixBNB?
                Akisviete

Hi, David,

I am learning about computers so I am trying to understand is there a difference between nuc7i3 and nuc7i5 controllers as they both have usb 3.1 and dp 1.2 but i3 doesn't have thunderbolt 3. Is the thunderbolt 3 in nuc7i3 disabled in software or is it a different controller from nuc7i5? Another question is the Nuc7i5 thunderbolt 3 is connected via pci-e 3x4 but what about nuc7i3 usb 3.1 gen2 pci-e configuration? I am not trying to implement anything I just want to understand how does my computer work and to be informed what to buy next. I see that other companies have no problem telling that information see Zotac ZBOX MAGNUS EK71080 Compact Gaming PC Review . Please provide nuc7i5 and nuc7i3 controller information and pci-e configuration, thank you.

• 5. Re: What controller is used in usb-c NUC7ixBNB?
                  Akisviete

I tried to find some information on linux ubuntu 17.10 with 4.13 kernel but lsusb showed only a usb 2 & 3 hub and lspci -tv did not show any usb 3.1 gen 2 controller. Does nuc7i3 usb 3.1 gen 2 work on linux? Does nuc7i3 have usb 3.1 gen 1 or gen 2? Unfortunately I don't have a usb-c device at this moment I would check if it would work. I am in stress that Linux can't find any usb 3.1 gen 2 controller or any support for 10000M!!! See here too: thunderbolt - How to check (via software) if my usb 3.1gen2 Type-C port supports Thunderbolt3? - Ask Ubuntu

BIOS version 62, ubuntu 17.10 with 4.13 kernel, parabola arch linux with 4.15 kernel the same:

monika@monika-desktop:~$ sudo lspci -tv

-[0000:00]-+-00.0  Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v6/7th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers

+-02.0  Intel Corporation HD Graphics 620

+-08.0  Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5 / 6th/7th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model

+-14.0  Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP USB 3.0 xHCI Controller

+-14.2  Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP Thermal subsystem

+-16.0  Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP CSME HECI #1

+-17.0  Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI mode]

+-1c.0-[01-39]--

+-1c.5-[3a]----00.0  Intel Corporation Wireless 8265 / 8275

+-1c.7-[3b]----00.0  Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5229 PCI Express Card Reader

+-1f.0  Intel Corporation Intel(R) 100 Series Chipset Family LPC Controller/eSPI Controller - 9D4E

+-1f.2  Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP PMC

+-1f.3  Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio

+-1f.4  Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP SMBus

\-1f.6  Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (4) I219-V

monika@monika-desktop:~$ sudo lsusb

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 8087:0a2b Intel Corp.

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1c4f:0002 SiGma Micro Keyboard TRACER Gamma Ivory

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

monika@monika-desktop:~$ sudo lsusb -t

/:  Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, class="root_hub", Driver=xhci_hcd/6p, 5000M

/:  Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, class="root_hub", Driver=xhci_hcd/12p, 480M

|__ Port 3: Dev 2, If 0, class="Human" Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 1.5M

|__ Port 4: Dev 3, If 1, class="Human" Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 1.5M

|__ Port 4: Dev 3, If 0, class="Human" Interface Device, Driver=usbhid, 1.5M

|__ Port 8: Dev 4, If 1, class="Wireless", Driver=btusb, 12M

|__ Port 8: Dev 4, If 0, class="Wireless", Driver=btusb, 12M

• 6. Re: What controller is used in usb-c NUC7ixBNB?
                    Intel Corporation

Hello Akisviete,

Thank you for your response,

I have sent you a private message.

Regards,
                    David V

• 7. Re: What controller is used in usb-c NUC7ixBNB?
                      Intel Corporation

Hello Akisviete,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

I sent you a private message before.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,
                      David V

• 8. Re: What controller is used in usb-c NUC7ixBNB?
                        Akisviete

David V,

tell your business people that if a consumer buys a pc it is his right to know what is inside it. You can not stop the information flow. Now I know that Nuc7i3bnh has a Thunderbolt 3 controller the same as i5 and i7 even if it is not advertised. It is Intel® JHL6340 Thunderbolt™ 3 Controller Product Specifications

Thanks for the challenge even if you did not help me, David.