Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14404 Discussions

System stuttering during video playback after Spectre microcode update on Broadwell-E

NFort
Beginner

Hello,

I'm running a Core i7 6950X on a Asrock Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7 motherboard. After updating to the latest BIOS with the Spectre microcode update for Broadwell-E version 0B00002A, I get heavy system stuttering during video playback from streaming services like Netflix or Amazon Video (never had those before) and longer loading times in general. If I revert to the previous BIOS, everything is fine. It must have something to do with the new microcode implementation on this CPU, I can't see any other culprit. Is there something I can do, besides reverting back and hoping and waiting for a better iteration of the microcode? Is that even planned, or older CPU families like mine are EOL?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello lazy_plot

Thank you for joining the community.

Are the drivers of the motherboard up to date? Please refer to the following link for assistance.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20X99%20Professional%20Gaming%20i7/# Download https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20X99%20Professional%20Gaming%20i7/# Download

can you let us know where you download the BIOS update?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
NFort
Beginner

Hello,

Yes, drivers are up-to-date from that same link, and the BIOS too. I already checked for faulty RAM with Memtest and Windows Memory Diagnostic and removing one stick at-a-time, reinstalling browsers and whatnot.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello lazy_plot

Thank you for your response.

Allow me to share with you that we recommend you to contact ASRock due to in this case the BIOS and drivers were built form the manufacturer of the motherboard, in these case for them to replicated the scenario with the same system.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos