3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2018 3:00 AM by FGT

Problem booting from SD card

RRuschel

Hello

I just got a Galileo Gen 2 board and I'm having some trouble setting up the poky linux image on the SD card.

I downloaded the latest version, named Galileo_Poky_SW_image_20160606 from Intel's website, and tried setting it up using Win32 diskImager and using the dd command in linux.

Both times it created two partitions on my card, one with 51MB and another one with 1.64GB.

The problem is that when I try to boot the board with the SD card on, it doesn't show up on Window's device manager nor gets a COM port assigned to it, and I also can't SSH or even ping the board (I've set a static IP for it using my router's DHCP).

If I boot the board without the SD card, I can ping and connect to it using Telnet.

Unfortunately, I don't have the FTDI adapter to get more information on what's going on.

Any suggestion of what I'm doing wrong or what the problem could be would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Raphael

• 1. Re: Problem booting from SD card
          FGT

Hi Raphael,

I downloaded the latest version, named Galileo_Poky_SW_image_20160606 from Intel's website, and tried setting it up using Win32 diskImager and using the dd command in linux.

Both times it created two partitions on my card, one with 51MB and another one with 1.64GB.

Nothing wrong up to this point, this is the expected result of writing the image to the SD card.

The problem is that when I try to boot the board with the SD card on, it doesn't show up on Window's device manager nor gets a COM port assigned to it, and I also can't SSH or even ping the board (I've set a static IP for it using my router's DHCP).

If I boot the board without the SD card, I can ping and connect to it using Telnet.

There are two strange details in the behavior you describe:

1) In all the cases in which I used the Intel Galileo without the SD card, I had to use a sketch for starting a telnet server in the Intel Galileo. I don't know why you have a telnet server "up&running" as soon as you boot the Intel Galileo Gen2. A possible explanation would be that the firmware of the Intel Galileo and Intel Galileo Gen2 are different... but I would not bet on that...

2) If there is some problem with the SD card with which the Intel Galileo is expected to boot, it is identified as "faulty" and the Intel Galileo boots from firmware. Either way, your Intel Galileo should boot at least for replying to ping... Assuming the Intel Galileo is booting from the SD card (otherwise you would be in the case of "booting without SD" which in your case the Intel Galileo Gen2 replies to ping) I think there are 2 possibilities:

2.1) The Intel Galileo Gen2 receives an IP number other than that you set in the router's DHCP. It should not be the case, but... you would be able to verify this "wild guess" by identifying the IPs assigned by router's DHCP before and after the Intel Galileo Gen2 boots.

2.2) The Intel Galileo Gen2 does not receive any IP from the router's DHCP... it should not be the case, but maybe there is some other problem we don't know about right now.

I'm assuming you are not running anything in your Intel Galileo Gen2 in either case (booting with our without SD), right?

Please mark this thread as a "question", not a "discussion".

HTH,

Fernando.

• 2. Re: Problem booting from SD card
            RRuschel

Hello Fernando,

Thanks for your reply.

Looks like the problem was some kind of incompatibility between the board and my sd card since I tried with a new one today and it is working as intended, board gets a COM port assigned, I'm able to ping and SSH to it, sketches are persistent between reboots and so on.

I was using a 8GB class 10 sandisk sdhc and now I'm using a 4GB Inova card that doesn't even have its class printed on (aka the cheapest I could find).

How do I change the thread category? I clicked on edit post and I couldn't find an option to do so

• 3. Re: Problem booting from SD card
              FGT

Hi Raphael,

It's good to know your Intel Galileo is "Up&runnig", either way.

About

How do I change the thread category?

I know that there is a "check" you can add when you start a so called "Discussion" (i.e. a thread in this forum) in order to

"Mark this discussion as a question"

but now I don't know if the check remains after you send the first post. Maybe you are able to see the first post in for verifying whether the check is still there or not. I attach the screen of an "initial" post, where the check is immediately after the thread title/subject.

Actually, it's not relevant right now, because your problem is solved.

BR,

Fernando.