4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2018 5:26 PM by Billrv

New NUC6CAYS memory full

Billrv

My new NUC started up well and connected to my home network.  When I tried to update Win 10 I received the message that I needed to clear space.

I deleted Chrome which I had downloaded and two games that came on the 32Gb card in the NUC but it still tells me there is no room to update.

I have fitted a Samsung 860 EVO 250 Gb SSD but it is not recognised by Explorer.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: New NUC6CAYS memory full
          RvdH

You can use an external USB disk to compensate the low disk space while upgrading, take a look here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4013876/windows-10-freeing-up-space-to-install-latest-update

• 2. Re: New NUC6CAYS memory full
            lw1948

Hello,

1. Enter bios setting (press F2 during boot procces, when you see F2, F7, F10 menu).

2. In Advanced ->Devices->SATA , set the Chipset SATA Mode to AHCI and enable SATA Port  (checkbox).

3. Press F10 followed by "Y" to save these setting and exit to Windows.

4. While in Windows, check if your SSD is now recognized.

5. If the SSD wasn't recognized in Windows, reboot the NUC and again enter to Bios settings (F2). Check if your SSD is recognized by Bios (Advanced -> Devices->SATA). If you see your SSD, continue to para. 7

6. If your SSD is not recognized in BIOS, disconnect Power Adaptor cable, remove the bottom cover and check id the SSD cables are firmly attached to the connectors on board (See Product Specification  https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC6CAYS_NUC6CAYH_TechProdSpec.pdf  , connectors N and L, fig. 2, page 15). If your connector are connected correctly, probably is something wrong with your SSD (check with other one ) or with your NUC.

7. Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Disk Management.

•      If you don't see the 2'5" drive in Disk Management, press Action in menu and than Rescan Discs.
            •      If your see the new drive but it is not initialized, Right-click the drive marked as "Unknown" and "Not Initialized," and select Initialize Disk.
            •      Select GPT (GUID Partition Table) and press OK
            •      Once the drive is initialized, right-click the Unallocated space, and select New Simple Volume
            •      Click Next.
            •      Choose the volume size or leave the default size if you're planning to use the entire hard drive to store files.
            •      Click Next.
            •      Select a drive letter from the drop-down menu.
            •      Click Next.
            •      Select the NTFS file system.
            •      On "Allocation unit size," leave the Default option.
            •     Type a descriptive name in Volume label field.
            •     Clear the Perform a quick format option.
            •     Click Next.
            •     Click Finish. Once you completed the steps, Windows 10 will set up a new partition and properly format the hard drive.

•     If your drive is initialized, you need only to format it.  Right-click the drive you want and click Format.
            •     Type a descriptive name.
            •     Select the NTFS file system.
            •     On "Allocation unit size," leave the Default option.
            •     Clear the Perform a quick format option.
            •     Click OK.
            •     Click OK on the warning message. Once the formatting process completes, you can then begin to store files on the hard drive.

Hope this helps

Leon

• 3. Re: New NUC6CAYS memory full
              Billrv

Thank you much.  I have followed the directions and have it all under control.

• 4. Re: New NUC6CAYS memory full
                Billrv

ToRvdH  After looking at your suggestion I followed the directions of plugging in an external drive and tried the update again. After a couple of tries it worked and I now have the latest up date of Win 10.

I then looked at the suggestions of lw1948 and skipped to the steps on disk management and found the new SSD was visible but needed to be initialised.  After completing this step I was up and running.

I did not find it necessary to make any alterations in the BIOS.

I am sorry if my response is not very technically lucid but I am far from being an IT expert.  I am very grateful for the advice of those who are in helping me achieve what I am trying to do and making it work.  Thank you both.