7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2018 6:09 AM by a_s

Intel NUC7i3DNH - COM port not working?

a_s

Hello, we have two of these NUCs. We placed board from the first one to Akasa passive case A-NUC39-M1B (Plato X7D). This case comes with COM port cable (see attachment). COM is enabled in BIOS (bios v40) and visible as COM1 in Windows 10 1703. But no communication goes through. We checked that Akasa cable with tester (acoustic pin tester) and cable is OK.  We then tried second board and still no luck - it's the same. Intel, can you check it is working on your test units, please? It seems unlikely to me that we got bad luck wit two boards.

• 1. Re: Intel NUC7i3DNH - COM port not working?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello a_s, 

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

I would like to get additional information about the issue described before. 

-How are you testing the connection? What do you mean by "no communication goes through"?
          -What devices are you connecting?

I will do further research about this issue as well. Thank you for your feedback. 

Wanner G.

• 2. Re: Intel NUC7i3DNH - COM port not working?
            a_s

Hello.

We use the NUC as a PC to control our "engraving CO2 laser" - normal operation is through USB connection but for one specific option (controlling z-axis = vertical movement) we need additional Serial comunication (COM port).

We test this using two methods:

1) first just with the laser - if it works (laser program on PC can control the laser Z-axis), no reason to test further (we use normally 2U rack PC with Asrock mATX boards with COM header and Intel Celeron CPUs and it works everytime we build new 2U)

2) if it is not working, we test using some 'hyperterminal like' program - we use https://www.hw-group.com/products/hercules/index_en.html  ... we use then COM cable between NUC (or 2U PC) and our laptop, both have this Hercules runing and if we send somthing from laptop and it is shown on NUC, it is OK ...

In this case, both tests failed on this NUC.

We then tested with 'USB-to-COM' cable/adapter plugged in one of NUC's usb3 port and both tests work normally - so clearly it is problem with:

a) COM port on NUC board

b) or COM cable supplied with Akasa case

And as I've written: we checked pinout (we need 1:1) and tested that cable with device shown in attachment (Pro'sKit MT-1210). Cable seems OK.

So we are left with NUC board COM port to blame ...

• 3. Re: Intel NUC7i3DNH - COM port not working?
              Intel Corporation

Hello a_s,

Thank you for the information provided. 

No issue has been reported yet, so it could be an isolated case. I will do further research about this issue and get back to you soon. 

I appreciate your understanding. 

Wanner G.

• 4. Re: Intel NUC7i3DNH - COM port not working?
                a_s

Ok, I will try RMA one of the boards/kits to see what Intel will say about it.

• 5. Re: Intel NUC7i3DNH - COM port not working?
                  N.Scott.Pearson

Hold on a moment, there is something (else) to look at...

The COM ports in the NUCs use TTL signalling. That is, while they are tolerant of higher voltages while receiving data, they transmit data using +/- 5V signalling. Most devices will handle this without issue. Some devices (those designed to handle noisy environments, for example) use higher voltage thresholds (+/- 9V, for example) for determining whether they are seeing valid data  (and not noise spikes) and thus do not "see" the data from TTL COM ports. If your device falls into this category, you may not be able to use the internal COM port.

Hope this helps,

...S

• 6. Re: Intel NUC7i3DNH - COM port not working?
                    Intel Corporation

Hello a_s, 

I am following up on your inquiry.

Please let us know if you replaced one of your units and tested it with your A-NUC39-M1B (Plato X7D). Also, you may follow the recommendations provided by N. Scott Pearson. Please share your findings when available. 

Wanner G.

• 7. Re: Intel NUC7i3DNH - COM port not working?
                      a_s

We made RMA and will get new unit soon. We will test it as soon as it arrives.

The "bad" one is on the way to Intel (as what distributor said), so if you can/want you can get your hands/info/tests about it - here is the SN: BTDN806001V0