5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2018 12:46 PM by Justin.Shearer

Extremly Slow N3540 Processor

Justin.Shearer

I am running an HP 15-f272wm Energy Star Laptop. It is currently running at 500Mhz, which is super dog slow. it takes 6 to 7 seconds just to open up file explorer in windows 10. I've tried to use Intel XTU, but it reads that there are no cores, nor is there a base frequency. I've changed power settings to 100% in power management, I've done a brand new wipe of the system, checked with Throttlestop (Disabled Speedstep), changed the ram, Checked the ram with Memtestx86, checked the hard drive with extended test Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, used the intel chipset driver update utility in case that the GPU was slowing things down... I'm running out of options and ideas. How can I get this processor to clock to the advertised 2.16ghz speeds?

• 1. Re: Extremly Slow N3540 Processor
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Justin.Shearer, 

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

To verify the performance of the processor, please run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. You can find the link here. Save the scan in your computer and attach it to the thread.

Also, go into the task manager and verify the CPU, Memory, and Disk performance. Please attach pictures if possible. 

Wanner G.

• 2. Re: Extremly Slow N3540 Processor
            Justin.Shearer

Thank you for that tool. I like how it checks all aspects of the processor.

The test came back 100%, no flaws.

• 3. Re: Extremly Slow N3540 Processor
              Intel Corporation

Hello Justin.Shearer, 

I am glad to hear that the tool provided worked fine to test the functionality of the processor. In this case, you may also follow the steps below to fix a computer running slow:

-I know that you reformatted your system, but you may also run an antivirus.
              -Check the programs running in the background.
              -Free Up Disk Space.
              -Keep your operating system up to date.

Please share any findings in case that you need any further help. 

Wanner G.

• 4. Re: Extremly Slow N3540 Processor
                Intel Corporation

Hello, Justin.Shearer.

I would like to double check if you were able to perform the troubleshooting steps attached to the post above and the results.

Antony S.

• 5. Re: Extremly Slow N3540 Processor
                  Justin.Shearer

I ended up ordering up a new motherboard to see if it solved the issue.

You gave me that tool, and I was absolutely thrilled.

You killed my confidence with cookie cutter answers though.

You mentioned you know the system has been reformatted, which would negate Antivirus minus Rootkits - Checking Programs running in the background (there are none, it's a new wipe), Free up disk space (Its all free, its a new wipe), And keeping the operating system up to date (again, first thing you do after a new wipe)

Here's to hoping that it works as intended.

Thanks,

Justin