2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2018 2:20 AM by Zloduh

CPU required for Netflix 4k HDR on PC

Zloduh

Hello,

I have a question regarding CPU requirement for successful Netflix 4k HDR stream on PC. I know it must be Kaby Lake or 7th Gen. In your HDR whitepaper there is mentioning of CPU SGX support and HD 620 Intel iGPU or better. But it is also noted that it is "Supporting 7th Gen Intel® Core™ Processor". On your Ark page for example Pentium G4600 have both SGX support and HD 630 iGPU but it is not branded as Core CPU. So my question is whether Pentium G4600 can play DRM protected Netflix 4K HDR content?

Rest of components would be:

- Samsung 49MU8000 TV which is HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant

- mITX motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac or ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac, both HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant and both use LSPCon chips for HDMI 2.0 (MCDP2800)

- HDMI 2.0 capable cable, of course.

Also, will, for example, Celeron G3930 be able to play Netflix 4k HDR?

All of this streaming would be on MS Edge or Netflix Win10 app. Internet speed is more than enough

Hope I was clear with questions and thank you very much for your effort and time.

• 1. Re: CPU required for Netflix 4k HDR on PC
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Zloduh,

I understand that you would like to know which processor would be the best for 4K HDR playback. Regarding this, actually the HDR has been implemented on our core processors, from 7th generation and forward, so in this case no, neither the pentium nor the celeron are capable of doing so. 

The best I would recommend you to do is to check on the list of processors, they come with the different graphics controllers and the maximum supported resolution and as long as they are core 7th generation and on they should work for the purpose.

Please refer to the link below for more information about the different processors: 

Core processors

Hope this helps.

Regards,
          David V

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CPU required for Netflix 4k HDR on PC
            Zloduh

Dear David,

Thank you for your answer, that is exactly what I wanted to know. Hope this help someone else in the future.

Regards,

Dario