Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Reducing Bluetooth Power/Bandwidth on my Wireless 7265 Card

DLang4
Beginner

I have had many discussions in the past few months about how my Wireless 7265 card in my Dell Inspiron 7348 2-in-one constantly loses connection (especially to my 5Ghz segment). I finally found the answer by disabling the bluetooth in the adapter. Once I did that, the WiFi is flawless .. .i never drop a connection and I can see both of my Wifi segments at home.

I also changed the channels on my 2.4 and 5Ghz segments on my router to see if that takes care of any possible interference with the bluetooth.

My question is ... I would like to re-enable the Bluetooth, but doing so will kill my WiFi connection again. I looked to see if there is any way I can reduce the power or bandwidth on just the Bluetooth, but still allow the WiFi adapter to connect to any router at 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz. There are few options to set in the Bluetooth. Are there any command line settings I can use, or a setting/script to set that would allow the full WiFi speed with reduced Bluetooth. Perhaps if the Bluetooth is toned down, it will not rob the WiFi bandwidth from the adapter.

I know I am not the only one experiencing the issues with this wireless card. My laptop is no longer in warranty with Dell. One person at Intel suggested an antenna issue, but if there was an antenna issue, i would still experience signal loss while on the WiFi. That is not the case .. The Bluetooth kills the WiFi (both 2.4 and 5Ghz). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello davidjlanger,

We understand you're having connectivity issues when using wireless while your Bluetooth® module is enabled.

In this case, I'm inclined to agree that this is a likely antenna issue. Bluetooth® uses the 2.4 GHz band, which is why it's common to see interference issues when you're connecting to WiFi on the same band, but it does not cause issues with the 5 GHz frequencies, since these are not used.

Your adapter uses the following antenna configuration:

Antenna 1: Wi-Fi + Bluetooth®

Antenna 2: Wi-Fi

If there are issues with antenna 2, your adapter will rely solely on antenna 1, which is shared. This will result in increased latency when your Bluetooth® radio is enabled, as your adapter will need to take turns using this antenna.

Although not a simple solution, our main recommendation in this case will be to purchase a set of replacement antennas from your computer manufacturer. Perhaps a local repair shop or one of your computer manufacturer authorized service centers will be able to help install this part. If this is not an option, an USB Bluetooth® dongle may be a simpler workaround.

You can also test our latest drivers (released earlier this week) and see if they mitigate the issue. We recommend installing the Bluetooth® driver first, followed by the wireless package.

1. Bluetooth®: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27622 Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10 Version 20.40.0

2. WiFi: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27615 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 Version 20.40.0

Best regards,

Carlos A.