9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2018 4:04 PM by Intel Corporation

Multiple USB vs Wifi issues on Compute stick

kaosX

Firstly, I found the Intel Stick to be a good replacement for my laptop which was plugged into my TV as a media center.

That being said, I've found a few issues which are persistent and very annoying.

I was finding it hard to plug my USB 3.0 1Tb HDD directly into the stick as it would barely read continuously for > 15-20 minutes and frequently connect and disconnect with eventually throwing up the "USB device not recognized" message. I assumed it was draining too much power from the stick so I got a powered 3.0 USB hub.

Now, when I plug my USB hub into the 3.0 port, the wireless mouse in the 2.0 port stops working. What's worse, with the 3.0 hub plugged in, Unified remote on my phone (on a WiFi server) also stops working and works erratically, at best. To make matters worse, the USB hub does not work in the 2.0 port at all.

Without using the USB hub, the mouse works fine and even Unified Remote works great (along with the wireless mouse). When the USB hub is plugged in - both completely stop.

Plugging the mouse dongle into the hub also does not solve the issue, although the HDD reads just great.

Hardware in question -

- Intel Compute Stick Stick PC (Atom BOXSTK1AW32SCL/2GB/32GB/Windows 10/Integrated Graphics)

- Logitech USB wireless mouse

- QuantumZERO QZ-HB05 USB 3.0 4-Port 12V 2A Powered Hub

- Unified Remote for Android

Is there any long-term solution to this USB 2.0 / 3.0 / WiFi conflict occurring as this is slowly but surely becoming unusable for me...

• 1. Re: Multiple USB vs Wifi issues on Compute stick
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello kaosX, 

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support. 

The different components and devices may not be receiving enough power. Please make sure you are using the power adapter that came with your Intel® Compute Stick. Now, to troubleshoot compatibility issues, you can also connect a different USB powered hub.

Also, in “Device Manager”, go to “Other Devices” and select “Universal Serial Bus Controllers”. If there are any yellow questions or exclamation marks visible, uninstall the driver in “Device Manager”, then restart your computer. The driver should be reinstalled automatically.

I would also like to get additional information about your system, please scan your system using the DxDiag tool. Follow the steps below:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R. 
          2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.
          3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop). 
          4. Attach the report to this thread. 

Provide the 1TB HDD model, too.

Wanner G.

• 2. Re: Multiple USB vs Wifi issues on Compute stick
            kaosX

Thanks for your reply Wanner.

Using a different (Targus) powered USB hub did not solve my issue either.

Went to Device Manager and found nothing highlighted, I however still uninstalled the mouse drivers and restarted but to no avail. All drivers found no updates pending.

I have also attached the DxDiag document requested, hope it helps.

My external HDD is a WD Elements 1Tb (NTFS).

The core issue still remains.... I'm fine even if my mouse stops working with the powered USB Hub plugged in, the bigger problem is the WiFi failure with the powered USB hub - where I need to disconnect the hub every time I need to access the internet or control the PC with Unified Remote on my Android phone. If this is fixed, I'll be happy enough. Basically, when the powered USB hub is plugged in, there's no way for me to use any wireless mouse/keyboard to control the Stick PC.

Thanks in advance,

K

• 3. Re: Multiple USB vs Wifi issues on Compute stick
              Intel Corporation

Hello kaosX, 

Thank you for the information provided. 

According to the scan attached to the thread, you have the following BIOS version: SCCHTAX5.86A.0029.2016.0914.1508. You can try a BIOS update.

Install the updates in the order below and test the performance of the Intel® Compute Stick. If the BIOS update does not resolve the issue, please install the next one.

BIOS update versions:

Version: 0037 

Version: 0038

Version: 0040 (Latest)

Also, install the Intel® Wireless Technology-Based Driver for Intel® Compute Stick STK1AW32SC.

Find the BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® Compute Sticks here

Wanner G.

• 4. Re: Multiple USB vs Wifi issues on Compute stick
                kaosX

The BIOS update instructions page cannot be found.

I'll however try over the weekend and let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

K

• 5. Re: Multiple USB vs Wifi issues on Compute stick
                  Intel Corporation

Hello kaosX, 

The link is working now. Please give it a try and share the results whenever you are ready.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Wanner G.

• 6. Re: Multiple USB vs Wifi issues on Compute stick
                    kaosX

Hi Wanner,

I have tried with all 3 BIOS updates and still no resolution to the problem.

The WiFi, Unified Remote and the wireless mouse still do not work with the USB hub connected (I tried after every BIOS update just in case).

Any other solution to this?

Thanks,

K

• 7. Re: Multiple USB vs Wifi issues on Compute stick
                      Intel Corporation

Hello kaosX,

Thank you for updating the BIOS on your Intel® Compute Stick.

I will do further research to find a solution or a feasible workaround. I will get back to you soon. 

Wanner G.

• 8. Re: Multiple USB vs Wifi issues on Compute stick
                        Intel Corporation

Hello kaosX,

After doing some research, I would like you to try the following troubleshooting steps below and let us know if the issues stated before continue happening. 

1. If your WiFi band is set to 2.4 GHz frequency while using the Intel® Compute Stick, try switching it to 5.0 GHz WiFi connection. Basically, if USB 3.0 utilizes the same 2.4GHz carrier signal, it may cause interference with other devices and trigger the connectivity issues experienced by your setup.

-Try using a USB 3.0 WiFi adapter. Keep in mind that you may need to disable the internal WiFi and plug a 2.4GHz b/g/n USB WiFi adapter. Also, there should be some distance between the WiFi adapter and the USB hub.

-If Bluetooth is enabled, you can also disable it.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Wanner G.

• 9. Re: Multiple USB vs Wifi issues on Compute stick
                          Intel Corporation

Hello kaosX,

Were you able to follow the steps mentioned before?

Fee free to share the results whenever you are ready. 

Wanner G.