12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2018 7:12 AM by FGT

Firmware updater will not finish updating firmware on Intel Galileo

RobertoGarcia

I'm trying to update my firmware but the application never finishes installing it. See the attached image for what the GUI looks like when the state that it is stuck on looks like. I can see that the port reads "Galileo" on device manger, so my PC does recognize my board. I should say that this isn't the first time it happened. The first time I ran the "update firmware" it got stuck in this loop. So far I've tried to update it 3 times, even though I know I'm not supposed to, but I figure something must've been wrong since the first try. Furthermore, as you can see the firmware updater also recognizes the board's current version. This may be related to another problem I'm having on Arduino in that the serial monitor displays really odd characters every time I run it.

wrong.png

• 1. Re: Firmware updater will not finish updating firmware on Intel Galileo
          FGT

Hi RobertoGarcia,

As far as I know, the updated firmware is needed only in the case in which the Intel Galileo is going to be used without SD card, because the firmware is actually a very reduced yocto run only when the Intel Galileo is turned on without any SD card.

If you still want/need to update the firmware, take into account that sometimes the firmware update process sometimes fails... since sometimes it depends on the USB "state", I suggest to turn off the Intel Galileo and the PC, and restart the process. If it fails, please send:

a) The device manager screen before plugging in the Intel Galileo to the PC USB

b) The device manages after plugging in the Intel Galileo to the PC USB

c) The Intel Galileo firmware updater again

I wonder why you state

Furthermore, as you can see the firmware updater also recognizes the board's current version.

because the screen shows otherwise... (1.1.0 vs. 1.0.4)

I'm curious about

This may be related to another problem I'm having on Arduino in that the serial monitor displays really odd characters every time I run it.

This may be not related to the firmware unless you are running the Intel Galileo without any SD card. If you are running the Intel Galileo with an SD card maybe this is related to the Arduino Serial Monitor settings.

HTH,

Fernando.

• 2. Re: Firmware updater will not finish updating firmware on Intel Galileo
            RobertoGarcia

Hey, FGT,

Kindly thanks for the reply. It just so happens that I do have Yocto running on a microSD card and I can install it again. The reason I thought that goes back to my original issue which I Arduino's own support forums. Here's a summary of what's going on. I'm supposed to do a project in which I use my board as a server. To do so I first need to test my connection online with it. When I try to read my board's IP address I get a weird error on the serial monitor, Arduino's debugger for live sketches. By weird I mean a combination of non-alphanumerical characters and some some alphanumerical characters. I did some researching on that forum and it some users where speculating that this is caused by boards not having been updated to the most recent firmware. This is what brought me to use Intel's firmware updater, which then brought me here.

To clarify some of the ambiguities on my OP, by

Furthermore, as you can see the firmware updater also recognizes the board's current version.

I meant to say that the updater knows that my board is at 1.0.4, not that my board's version is 1.1.0. I brought that up because some users dealing with issues from the updater couldn't see which version their board was on from the updater.

And this finally brings us again to my Arduino serial monitor issue, which I described in this message and you also mentioned that it may relate to my settings but I can also link to my Arduino post if that's allowed here otherwise I'll just leave the screenshot here. Notice that the baud rate is 9600 which is also set to that value on my program so I know what else it could be.

MyWebClient possible error cut.png

• 3. Re: Firmware updater will not finish updating firmware on Intel Galileo
              FGT

I see...

Let's begin step-by-step. With your current configuration, i.e. booting the Intel Galileo with the SD card, load and run the attached sketch and let me know what happens. If the sketch does not work

a) Try other selections instead of "Carriage return" (every other, actually, reloading the sketch).

b) Please send the screen of the Device Manager as well as the screen of the Serial Monitor (just like the one you already sent, but with the sketch loaded and running in the Intel Galileo).

BR,

Fernando.

• 4. Re: Firmware updater will not finish updating firmware on Intel Galileo
                RobertoGarcia

Here is the sketch for the device manager. It should say something like "Galileo" and one way is to right click on it and select "Update drivers" but when I try to do so the window tells me that the drivers are already up-to-date.

devicemanager.png

And here is the serial monitor. I also tried every setting on the first drop-down and got the same result despite having booted the microSD card on the board.

serial-monitor.png

• 5. Re: Firmware updater will not finish updating firmware on Intel Galileo
                  FGT

Hmm... Just to check some other detals:

a) Did you set Tools ==> Board ==> Intel Galileo?

b) Did you try the other possible selections instead of "Carriage return"?

c) What version of the Arduino IDE are you using?

d) Does the sketch upload fine?

e) Do you have the same behavior if you turn on the Intel Galileo without the SD card?

f) How did you prepare the SD card?

I don't think you have a problem with the driver... I have seen the Intel Galileo recognized as "plain" USB serial device and the Intel Galileo working as expected.

Fernando.

• 6. Re: Firmware updater will not finish updating firmware on Intel Galileo
                    RobertoGarcia

a) The board I have is gen 2 and that's what Arduino is set to as well as the port that is displayed on the device manager.

b) ande e) I've tried all 5 options there with and without the microSD card and the serial monitor isssue persists. I've also tried the different baud rates but I need 9600 because that's what I wrote on my program. And I got the program from this guide I'm following along: Mapt - Developer skills delivered . You may not be able to see it without an account however.

c) Arduino 1.8.5

d) the sketch uploads fine now, but for some reason every now and then my sketches won't upload at all. I have to restart my laptop PC and re-upload the sketch. Nothing else works in place of restarting my PC. This issue is persistent across both of my PC's but since I can fix it by restarting it I haven't given it much thought.

f) This is the red flag but I didn't prepare the card myself. It was prepared for me. My instructor gave it to me without me realizing it already had files on it. Those files just so happened to be the ones I needed according to a guide I was reading on preparing the card. I figured one of his old students must've prepared it and thus I figured I might just use it as is. But I do happen to have another microSD card laying around I can prepare that one myself. Any guides you recommend on it?

Two more things, I've tried the examples on Arduino on using the serial monitor as well and I still get the output error so it's not the program. The other thing is that I'm using two different but cheap and worn out USB cable's does that matter?

• 7. Re: Firmware updater will not finish updating firmware on Intel Galileo
                      FGT

About the USB cable/connection: every problem I've had related to this issue (low quality cable, using an USB extension cord, and using USB hubs) produced that the Intel Galileo was not even recognized by the PC. Others have reported that using 3.0 USB ports implied some kind of problem/s (I've used them and they have worked fine, however). Either case, I suggest you get/borrow/buy a brand new USB cable and connect your Intel Galileo to a 2.0 USB socket.

Does the sketch I sent blink the Intel Galileo on board led (or the blink example, by that matter)?

Please send a picture of your Intel Galileo turned on and connected to your PC (maybe seeing the picture I figure out something else)

About

I've also tried the different baud rates but I need 9600 because that's what I wrote on my program

The 9600 baud rate should work fine, the problem is not the baud rate, but something else. Every baud rate should work fine as well as the same baud rate is set in the sketch and the Serial Monitor.

About

but for some reason every now and then my sketches won't upload at all. I have to restart my laptop PC and re-upload the sketch.

It's a well-known problem... unfortunate/regrettable/etc. ... Sometimes changing the USB socket to which the Intel Galileo is connected to helps, but it depends on a number of configurations that nobody knows, it seems...

Two problems or at least unknown behaviors remain:

a) The firmware upgrade problem. Maybe this is related to the low quality USB cable, try with a good USB cable using a 2.0 USB socket and let me know.

b) Whether your Intel Galileo boots from the SD or from the firmware. You can check this if you have/get/borrow a serial cable in order to have an Intel Galileo (serial) terminal. Maybe your instructor have one. I'll try to remember if I've made this check without a serial connection to the Intel Galileo. Something else is possible if the sketch works (even when the Serial Monitor does not) because following the ideas of the guide you are following we would be able to have a telnet/ssh connection via Ethernet. That's why (at least partially) I've asked about the blinking led above.

BR,

Fernando.

• 8. Re: Firmware updater will not finish updating firmware on Intel Galileo
                        RobertoGarcia

Here's another update of what I've done since my latest reply. I bought a decent USB cable and made sure it was 2.0. I have attached an image of my board while it's running the Blinky program that you sent me. Sorry I didn't see it at first. I installed Yocto on my own card as well. However, I read that there was an error with the guide on Intel's official guide on installing Yocto. Here is the guide that I used because I didn't want to run into those errors: https://www.build-electronic-circuits.com/intel-galileo-boot-sd-card/ .

Note that I used the instructions for a Window's PC. Sadly afterhaving done these two things I'm still seeing the serial monitor error. The interesting part is that up to now I've been able to run different kinds of programs on it, it is just the serial monitor that is behaving unexpectedly. Because my current assignment is to turn the board into a server, the serial monitor would not be an issue if I didn't need it to read the response from Google. But I don't suppose there are other ways to know if I have connected my board to the internet successfully. After having said this about the serial monitor refusing to work under so many different conditions is it safe to assume that the board is defective?

• 9. Re: Firmware updater will not finish updating firmware on Intel Galileo
                          FGT

Your card is an Intel Galileo card (aka "Intel Galileo Gen1", but "Gen1" is not the name given by Intel, however), not an Intel Galileo Gen2, so please set that card in the Arduino IDE (Tools ==> Board ==> Intel Galileo) and let me know if that solves the Serial Monitor problem.

Fernando.

• 10. Re: Firmware updater will not finish updating firmware on Intel Galileo
                            FGT

About

But I don't suppose there are other ways to know if I have connected my board to the internet successfully.

Actually, there are. But I suggest you directly set a fixed IP given that you need to use it as a server for your assignment. If you don't know how, I also suggest you try searching this forum and in case you do not find the way of doing it then open another thread specifically for that issue.

BR,

Fernando.

• 11. Re: Firmware updater will not finish updating firmware on Intel Galileo
                              RobertoGarcia

Good news. setting the card to "Gen 1" did solve the serial monitor problem. I can now see the correct characters on it from the blinking example. I then executed my ClientServer and the serial monitor says that I can't connect but I believe that is an issue for another time. I will look into setting a fixed IP next. Thank you so much for your help, I won't forget about it.

• 12. Re: Firmware updater will not finish updating firmware on Intel Galileo
                                FGT

Glad to know your card is "Up&Running"

BR,

Fernando.