Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

82566DC-2 Gigabit Ethernet Problem

idata
Employee

I have an Intel DX38BT motherboard with an integrated ethernet adapter, and I recently reinstalled Windows XP 64-bit with Service Pack 2 (completely cleared the hard drive and did a fresh install). After installing the LAN drivers for this motherboard (v. 15.1), my pc recognizes the ethernet adapter and says it's working properly; however, when I try to connect, it stalls at "Acquiring network address" for 2 minutes or so before assigning itself one of the ip's Windows gives when it can't connect to the DHCP server. I live in an apartment complex so I don't have access to the router, but I use my laptop to connect using the same cable and gateway, so it's definitely a problem with my pc, but I don't know what. I ran the diagnostic test and as I thought it says it can't connect to the dhcp server/gateway. It recognizes what the dhcp server's ip should be, but it just can't connect. I checked the DHCP client service, and the NetBIOS (or something like that) dependency is not listed in the "Dependencies" box, and I know it should be; I don't know if this could be the problem, and I don't know how to fix this. Also, I noticed on this website, Intel says that XP Service Pack 2 sometimes has problems with this ethernet adapter, and links to a Microsoft fix, but the fix is for XP 32-bit only. Please help!! I am computer literate, so I can give any specs, etc. if you need them.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Please run ipconfig/all from a cmd line prompt. Your output should include some details that include the Physical Address of your network connection. Here is a sample:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : subdomain.domain.com

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Conne

ction

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-25-9B-48-1F

What is your physical address? Do you get all zeroes for your physical address? I am asking because the Intel(R) 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection uses the same driver as the Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connection. If you get all zeroes, then the solution can be found in /community/wired/blog/2010/03/05/did-your-intel-pro1000-pl-network-connection-stop-working-after-a-driver-update Did your Intel® PRO/1000 PL Network Connection Stop Working after a Driver Update? As far as I know, all the reports were limited to the Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connection, but maybe this might have happened on some other connections that I did not know about.

I assume that everything was working correctly before the clean OS install. You might want to try uninstalling the network connections driver and software and installing an older version to see if the problem disappears. The version http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18194&lang=eng 14.6 software package, PROEM64T.exe, is still available in Download Center and has an older base driver that might work differently with your desktop board.

I hope this helps. Let me know what you find.

0 Kudos