1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 19, 2018 8:40 PM by QwerkyPengwen

Coffee Lake without Smart Cache?

an8er

Hello,

I'd like to build my own Coffee Lake i3 or i5 desktop, but I have just noticed this (here, on Intel's website):

KL i5 7500 -- 6 MB Smart Cache

CL i3 8100 -- 6 MB Cache

CL i5 8400 -- 9 MB Cache

Does it mean that CL has a less performant cache than the Kabe Lake?... The KL i5 has 6 MB of Smart Cache: all the 6 MB can be used by a single core if needed (thus "smart chache", right?, please correct me if I'm wrong). The CL, on the other hand, doesn't have a "smart" cache. I'd expect that to mean that each of the i3's 4 cores has its own 1.5 MB cache (same for the i5's 6 cores).

(2)

I initially wanted to get an i5 7500, but then I decided to wait for the CL mainstream motherboards. Similar to i5 7500, the i3 8100 (or the upcoming 8300) has 4 cores, and no multithreading. They have a similar frequency, too. Would there be any reason for the CL i3 to perform worse than the KL i5?

(3)

I am still confused on chipsets categories. I always chose the H chipsets 'cause they're mid-range. Where can I find out what the ACTUAL difference is between Z, H, B, Q? Not just theory, but practical examples. Not only because, but especially because my desktop must be as good as possible (within a given budget) for live video streaming. And certain unknown-to-me details might matter.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Coffee Lake without Smart Cache?
          QwerkyPengwen

all 8th gen Intel CPU's have SmartCache. It's just a given now that it's what the CPU has since Intel won't use regular cache methods and haven't in a long time. If you click the ? next the cache on Intel Ark for the CPU you'll see that it refers to the cache as SmartCache.

As for the lettering, it refers to the level of features that the board supports. B is for business, H is for home and C and Q have to do with server level stuff usually. I would say to go with H for standard uses since some of the other features that are for business are going to be useless to you. Z is the top of the line and comes with the ability to overclock an unlocked CPU. You cannot overclock an unlocked CPU on any other chipset than the Z lineup.

Z series chipsets are a waste of money if you don't have an unlocked CPU. However, if you plan on upgrading to an unlocked CPU from the generation of CPU's that the board supports in the not so distant future then you can just invest into one now if you like so that you aren't buying two different boards in the long run. However, it might also be more financially beneficial to get a regular board for your regular CPU so that it becomes easier to sell as a combo if and when you upgrade to an unlocked processor.