3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2018 3:15 PM by Intel Corporation

Slow download speed Intel Wireless Dual Band Adapter AC 3165

Tolis

I have a laptop, dell inspiron 5567 with an Intel Wireless Dual Band Adapter AC 3165 connected to a network created by an extender (TP LINK TL-WA860RE capable of up to 300 Mbps). I get a download speed of max 12 Mbps and upload speed of about 4.36 Mbps while i have an 50Mbps connection.
      From command prompt wireless properties are

Name              : Wi-Fi
      Description       : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
      GUID              :
      Physical address  :
      State             : connected
      SSID              : OTE_N67_ext
      BSSID             :
      Network type      : Infrastructure
      Radio type        : 802.11g
      Authentication    : WPA2-Personal
      Cipher            : TKIP
      Connection mode   : Auto Connect
      Channel           : 13
      Receive rate (Mbps): 54
      Transmit rate (Mbps)  : 54
      Signal            : 99%
      Profile           : OTE_N67_ext

On a second laptop, dell inspiron 7520 with an Intel  Centrino Wireless N-2230 i get the 30+ Mbps download speed

Name : Wi-Fi Description : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230

GUID :

Physical address :

State : connected SSID : OTE_N67_ext

BSSID :

Network type : Infrastructure

Radio type : 802.11n

Authentication : WPA2-Personal Cipher : CCMP

Connection mode : Auto Connect

Channel : 13

Receive rate (Mbps) : 144

Transmit rate (Mbps) : 144

Signal : 99%

Profile : OTE_N67_ext

Why is there such a difference in speed and how can i fix the speed issue with the first laptop ?

• 1. Re: Slow download speed Intel Wireless Dual Band Adapter AC 3165
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Tolis,

We understand you are having problems getting the full download speed available on your laptop using the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165.

Thanks to the outputs you have shared, we can see that on this system you have WPA2-Personal with TKIP encryption enabled. This limits your maximum connection rate to only 54 Mbps. The second computer is also using WPA2-Personal, but with CCMP, which allows for the full connection speed.

Connection rate is the speed at which your computer and wireless access point (router) are communicating. This number is always greater than your download speed measurements, as it accounts for the network overhead (encryption, routing information, etc).

Please perform a network reset and let us know if the issue continues:

1. Select the Start button, then select Settings  > Network & Internet  > Status > Network reset.
          2. On the Network reset screen, select Reset now > Yes to confirm.
          Wait for your PC to restart and see if that fixes the problem. You will need to connect to your WiFi again, inputting your wireless password.

If the issue continues, please share an Intel® System Support Utility report:
              1. Download the latest Intel® SSU
              2. While connected to your WiFi network, run the scan for "everything."
              3. Save and name the report.

Best regards,
          Carlos A.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Slow download speed Intel Wireless Dual Band Adapter AC 3165
            Tolis

Thanks a lot ! It appears that i had the security and encryption options on the repeater to "auto" which let each device to choose between the 2 encryption protocolls. I set it to "AES" and "WPA2-PSK" and both laptops got CCMP encryption.

• 3. Re: Slow download speed Intel Wireless Dual Band Adapter AC 3165
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello Tolis,

We're glad to hear that your issue has been resolved.

If there's anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,
              Carlos A.