Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Slow download speed Intel Wireless Dual Band Adapter AC 3165

ASerr5
Beginner

I have a laptop, dell inspiron 5567 with an Intel Wireless Dual Band Adapter AC 3165 connected to a network created by an extender (TP LINK TL-WA860RE capable of up to 300 Mbps). I get a download speed of max 12 Mbps and upload speed of about 4.36 Mbps while i have an 50Mbps connection.

From command prompt wireless properties areName : Wi-FiDescription : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165GUID :Physical address :State : connectedSSID : OTE_N67_extBSSID :Network type : InfrastructureRadio type : 802.11gAuthentication : WPA2-PersonalCipher : TKIPConnection mode : Auto ConnectChannel : 13Receive rate (Mbps): 54Transmit rate (Mbps) : 54Signal : 99%Profile : OTE_N67_ext

On a second laptop, dell inspiron 7520 with an Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230 i get the 30+ Mbps download speed

Name : Wi-Fi Description : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230

GUID :

Physical address :

State : connected SSID : OTE_N67_ext

BSSID :

Network type : Infrastructure

Radio type : 802.11n

Authentication : WPA2-Personal Cipher : CCMP

Connection mode : Auto Connect

Channel : 13

Receive rate (Mbps) : 144

Transmit rate (Mbps) : 144

Signal : 99%

Profile : OTE_N67_ext

Why is there such a difference in speed and how can i fix the speed issue with the first laptop ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello Tolis,

We understand you are having problems getting the full download speed available on your laptop using the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165.

Thanks to the outputs you have shared, we can see that on this system you have WPA2-Personal with TKIP encryption enabled. This limits your maximum connection rate to only 54 Mbps. The second computer is also using WPA2-Personal, but with CCMP, which allows for the full connection speed.

Connection rate is the speed at which your computer and wireless access point (router) are communicating. This number is always greater than your download speed measurements, as it accounts for the network overhead (encryption, routing information, etc).

Please perform a network reset and let us know if the issue continues:

1. Select the Start button, then select Settings > Network & Internet > Status > Network reset.

2. On the Network reset screen, select Reset now > Yes to confirm.

Wait for your PC to restart and see if that fixes the problem. You will need to connect to your WiFi again, inputting your wireless password.

If the issue continues, please share an Intel® System Support Utility report:

1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® SSU

2. While connected to your WiFi network, run the scan for "everything."

3. Save and name the report.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Tolis,

We understand you are having problems getting the full download speed available on your laptop using the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165.

Thanks to the outputs you have shared, we can see that on this system you have WPA2-Personal with TKIP encryption enabled. This limits your maximum connection rate to only 54 Mbps. The second computer is also using WPA2-Personal, but with CCMP, which allows for the full connection speed.

Connection rate is the speed at which your computer and wireless access point (router) are communicating. This number is always greater than your download speed measurements, as it accounts for the network overhead (encryption, routing information, etc).

Please perform a network reset and let us know if the issue continues:

1. Select the Start button, then select Settings > Network & Internet > Status > Network reset.

2. On the Network reset screen, select Reset now > Yes to confirm.

Wait for your PC to restart and see if that fixes the problem. You will need to connect to your WiFi again, inputting your wireless password.

If the issue continues, please share an Intel® System Support Utility report:

1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® SSU

2. While connected to your WiFi network, run the scan for "everything."

3. Save and name the report.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
ASerr5
Beginner

Thanks a lot ! It appears that i had the security and encryption options on the repeater to "auto" which let each device to choose between the 2 encryption protocolls. I set it to "AES" and "WPA2-PSK" and both laptops got CCMP encryption.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tolis,

We're glad to hear that your issue has been resolved.

If there's anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos