9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2018 1:51 PM by Intel Corporation

Do I have two Graphics Drivers

tromso

My desktop system is Windows 10 Home 64-bit. It only has Intel HD 630 (integrated) graphics - there is no additional graphics card.

Windows Update updated my Intel HD Graphics 630 Driver yesterday (15/03/2018). Since the update, I have performed a system reboot. As far as I can tell, everything is working fine.

The Intel Graphics Control Panel now says that the Driver Version is now 23.20.16.4973.

Device Manager shows only ONE Display Adapter (even if "Show hidden devices" is selected) and also says that its version is 23.20.16.4973, with a Driver Date of 28/02/2018.

However, Belarc Advisor shows TWO display adapters, as below :-

Intel - HD Graphics Drivers for Windows version 23.20.16.4944 (64-bit)
               Intel - HD Graphics Drivers for Windows version 23.20.16.4973 (64-bit)

If I display "Programs and Features" from the Windows 10 Control Panel, it only shows ONE display adapter, with version 23.20.16.4944 with an installation date of 19/02/2018.

I am confused. How many drivers are actually installed? Should I perform an Uninstall of the one shown by "Programs and Features" which apparently has a lower version number?

• 1. Re: Do I have two Graphics Drivers
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello tromso,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

The latest Intel® Graphics Driver version for the Intel® HD Graphics 630 is the following: 15.65.4.4944

However, I will like to investigate this further. Please scan your system using the DxDiag tool. Follow the steps below:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R. 
          2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.
          3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop). 
          4. Attach the report to this thread. 

Wanner G.

• 2. Re: Do I have two Graphics Drivers
            tromso

Hello Wanner G.

Thanks for your attention - dxdiag.txt attached as you requested. It only seems to mention version ...16.4973.

Alan Wheeler (tromso)

• 3. Re: Do I have two Graphics Drivers
              Intel Corporation

Hello tromso,

The version of the Intel® HD Graphics shown in Programs and Features is the latest release made by Intel. However, your system is kept up to date with the latest features and fixes released for Windows.
              The driver updates for your operating system are most likely automatically downloaded and installed through Windows Update. Unless you experience any issues with your computer, you should not take any actions such as uninstalling drivers currently installed.

Wanner G.

• 4. Re: Do I have two Graphics Drivers
                tromso

I'm still confused. Why does Device Manager show a different (apparently later) version and say that the Driver Provider is Intel Corporation? A screenshot of Device Manager looks like this :-

• 5. Re: Do I have two Graphics Drivers
                  Intel Corporation

Hello tromso, 

Keep in mind that new features are added to deliver performance and fix issues. Operating systems are not designed to utmost perfection and issues have to be addressed, in this case, by the operating system vendor.

Wanner G.

• 6. Re: Do I have two Graphics Drivers
                    Intel Corporation

Hello tromso,

I am writing to follow up on your inquiry. Please let me know if you need any further help. 

Wanner G.

• 7. Re: Do I have two Graphics Drivers
                      tromso

Hello Wanner G

As an experiment, I went into Device Manager, uninstalled the Intel 630 Display Adapter, requesting that the drivers should also be uninstalled, then rebooted.

After a few seconds, Windows 10 automatically reinstalled the 4944 version, then, a few minutes later, Windows Update automatically downloaded the 4973 version and requested permission to install it. I allowed the install to go ahead and I now find that the situation is back as I described in my original post, ie Device Manager and Intel Control Panel both show version 4973, "Programs and Features" shows version 4944, and Belarc Advisor shows both versions.

I am still baffled as to whether or not the number of graphics adapter drivers installed is one or two, so I cannot say that my question has been answered, but everything seems to work OK, so I am just accepting the situation.

Should you be interested in further research, I can give you some more information about the situation before I uninstalled the graphics adapter :-

1. As well as showing information for 2 graphics adapters, Belarc Advisor also showed the following :-

Intel - Common User Interface version 6.15.10.4944 (64-bit)

Intel - Common User Interface version 6.15.10.4973 (64-bit)

2. In folder C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository, there are three folders whose names start with ig:  igdlh64.inf_amd64_250db833a1cd577e, igdlh64.inf_amd64_0541b698fc6e40b0 and igdlh64.inf_amd64_ebf62e9f754a446a.

3. In folder C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_250db833a1cd577e, containing files dated 02/02/2018, 28/02/2018 and a single file (igdlh64.inf) dated 15/03/2018, there are several files with file version 23.20.16.4973 and none with file version 23.20.16.4944. All the files have company name either blank or "Intel Corporation".

4. In folder C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_0541b698fc6e40b0, containing files dated 09/02/2018 and a single file (igdlh64.inf) dated 19/02/2018, there are several files with file version 23.20.16.4944 and none with file version 23.20.16.4973. All the files have company name either blank or "Intel Corporation".

5. In folder C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_ebf62e9f754a446a, containing files dated 09/10/2017 and a single file (igdlh64.inf) dated 14/11/2017, there are several files with file version 22.20.16.4815 and none with file version either 23.20.16.4944 or 23.20.16.4973. All the files have company name either blank or "Intel Corporation".

AlanWheeler2

• 8. Re: Do I have two Graphics Drivers
                        Ronald_Intel

Hi Alan,

I would like to step in and help out if that's ok with you.

First I can confirm that as you pointed out, everything is showing up correctly and as it should be, i.e. one entry for Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 with one driver (build 4973). I also suggest checking out this site to better understand the Intel® Graphics Driver version number.

As the reason why Belarc Advisor is picking up and reporting more than one driver; I can confirm that Windows* actually keeps a driver repository, meaning that as new drivers are installed, older one(s) remains in the system, yet only 1 is being used (i.e. the one showing up in Device Manager).

By the way, if you want to delete drivers from the repository, simply click on the 'Uninstall Device' option, and on the next window make sure the option 'Delete the driver software for this device' is selected. Depending on how many drivers have been previously installed, you may need to repeat this process. Windows Update will try to get you the latest driver automatically installed, so try disconnecting from the Internet if you want to temporarily avoid this situation.

Without any drivers installed and with a clean repository to pick one from, the graphics controller should appear in Device Manager as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'.

I hope this helps you clarify this situation, otherwise let me know and I'll reply back.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

• 9. Re: Do I have two Graphics Drivers
                          Intel Corporation

Hello tromso,

I hope you found the information provided by Ronald_Intel useful.  Please let us know if you need any further help. 

Wanner G.