Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Intel RAID (RMS3CC080), BUG? "Online Virtual Drive Expansion" using RWC3 or MegaRAID System Manager

GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi

Ive opened a new thread for this as i seem to confirm this either as a BUG or some weird hardware limitation.

Hardware tested on

S1200SPOR

RMS3CC080

RAID Web Console 3 and MegaRAID System Manager (v17)

Situation 1

Hard drive 2Tb (RAID 0)

Virtual Drive = 0.5Tb

FREE = 1.5Tb

I can EXPAND this virtual drive to use the rest of the free space

Situation 2 (the BUG)

Hard drive 2Tb (RAID 0)

Virtual Drive A = 0.5Tb

Virtual Drive B = 0.5Tb

FREE = 1Tb

I can NOT EXPAND either virtual drive to use any of the free space, i can only create more virtual drives in this free 1Tb of space WHY IS THIS?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

TYPO correction above... MSM is "MegaRAID Storage Manager"

UPDATE with images (this can be replicated real easy on a bench, please see below, this is not mentioned in any Intel documentation i can find, so a BUG?).

This is holding up a deployment of a server, as there are ramifications on the amount of real drives that can be used to allow expansion, if 2 virtual drives are used in a single RAID then they CAN NOT be expanded as shown by the below images, the documentation makes no mention of this very large flaw / bug

WORKING, 1 virtual drive only

NOT WORKING, 2 virtual drives
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello (((GRIFFCOMM,

Thank you for your report on the RMS3CC080 RAID controller on trying to configure a 2 Tb virtual drive.

First let me ask if you trying to configure the virtual drive for OS boot or the OS is already installed.

If it is for OS Boot, please see this following information:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/gpt_white_paper_1_1.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/server/sb/gpt_white_paper_1_1.pdf

If the OS is already installed, you should be able to use the RAID Web Console 3 to configure this type of Virtual Drive Size.

Also, I see that you have mentioned this threat on this other threat:

/message/531550# 531550 Intel RAID (RMS3CC080), how to "Online RAID Expansion", cant find it in BIOS or RWC3

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi Henry

This isnt about "trying" to configure, its about the BUG when 1 virtual drive is there you can extend it, when 2 virtual drives are on the same RAID you CAN NOT extend them. This clearly is a bug...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello (((GRIFFCOMM,

Thank you for your report, the information provided before is how we setup the virtual drives above 2TB.

But for bug reports will need by creating a case and this will need to be done through the Contact Center. 916-377-7000 option # 4.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello (((GRIFFCOMM,

I just wanted to follow up anf verify if you had the opportunity to call our contact center to open the ticket.

Best regards,

Henry A.

0 Kudos
GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi

I believe Jeremiah is working on this... (a link in another ticket)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello (((GRIFFCOMM,

Excellent to hear that. I will live it open for a few more days just in case there is anything else we can help you.

Best regards,

Henry A.

0 Kudos