6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2018 4:02 AM by Vojtech

NUC6CAYH can not turn on

Vojtech

Hi,

I have bought

Intel NUC Boxnu X6CAYH Celeron J3455 Max. 8GB RAM 2GB DIMMS including Intel Wireless-AC 3168 + BT 4.2

together with one memory module

QUMOX 4 GB 204 pin DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM (1600Mhz, PC3L-12800S, CL11, 1.35V, Low Voltage)

and

Kingston SSD A400 – Solid state drive 2.5 inch SATA 3 Solid State Drive, black.

Assembled together, connected mouse, keyboard and monitor through HDMI.

Power switch turn yellow color. When switched on, it turns solid blue, no blinking.

Keyboard is not reacting, no led diodes on, nor blinking.

Mouse is not reacting, no red light from optical mouse.

Monitor stays black. No signal from HDMI, tried two monitors. 

Tried also another 4GB memory module with the same specs. Nothing happened.

Then returned the NUC unit and ordered a new one. Problem remains even with the new one. I don't know if I had two defective units?

It should not be memory problem since then the power button shall be blinking, see Troubleshooting No Boot or No Power Issues on Intel® NUC Products

When trying clear CMOS, see Clearing CMOS on Intel® NUC  nothing happen.

When holding power button for 3 seconds, see BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC , nothing happen.

Still no monitor signal, no keyboard diodes, no optical mouse light.

But I can charge my mobile phone through the USB ports!

I am suspicious if the units was not tested on Windows system and fastboot option were enabled. Now without any OS I can not boot.

According to Can't Access BIOS Setup with F2 Key for Intel® NUC Kits and Intel®...  

Fast Boot enabled

Fast Boot is a feature in BIOS that reduces computer boot time. If it's enabled, you cannot press F2 to enter BIOS Setup, since USB mice and keyboards are unavailable until after the operating system loads.

But I would like install Linux to that unit. I have read how to disable fast boot according to Using Fast Boot in Intel® Visual BIOS 2.x  and Using Fast Boot in Intel® Visual BIOS 1.x  But both assume that keyboard is reacting and that something appears on the monitor, which is not the case.

Thank you for any suggestions,

Vojtech.

• 1. Re: NUC6CAYH can not turn on
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello _Mark_
          Thank you for contacting us regarding the boot issues that you are facing with your NUC6CAYH, it will be more than a pleasure to help you out.
          Your case captured our attention since the behavior of both units (old one and replacement) is not normal, especially after all The troubleshooting that you performed, we really appreciate your patience and commitment when following all of our troubleshooting articles.
          Since you basically tried everything, there is one thing left that could be the reason of the behavior of your unit.
          There are few models of RAM memories that sure no supported by our NUCs even if the meet the requirements that we specify in our compatibility list of peripherals:
          http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC&productType=Kits&productName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC%20Kit%20NUC6CAYH
          On the link above you will find the list of tested peripherals for your unit, feel free to check it.
          Based on the description of your issue, we suspect that the density of your RAM could be part of the issue since the processor on these Intel NUC models support only DDR3L memory modules with 4 Gbit or 8 Gbit technology.
          If by any chance the memory module that you have installed uses either 1 or 2 Gbit (gigabit) technology, the unit will show system instability.
          Please go ahead and compare your RAM with the ones displayed on this article: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023485/mini-pcs/intel-nuc-kits.html
          As well please attach pictures of your Memory in order to perform further investigation.
          By any chance, have you tried to boot the unit with a different RAM kit?

I hope to hear from you soon.
           Best regards,

Diego S.

• 2. Re: NUC6CAYH can not turn on
            Intel Corporation

Hello Vojtech,

I was taking a look to your thread, and I wanted to confirm if you need further assistance?
            Please do not hesitate on replying back so we can provide you with assistance regarding your issue.
            I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,
            Diego S.

• 3. Re: NUC6CAYH can not turn on
              Vojtech

Hi,

the first NUC I have tested with one different memory module (4GB that meet the specification) and the behavior was the same. Won't turn on. I suppose it should boot into the bios with one 4GB memory module that meets the specification? Or do I need two memory modules to be present?

I have ordered the third replacement NUC, however the behavior is still the same. The last what I can try is to replace memory module. Unfortunately, I don't have any device that uses  DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM to test that the module is defective. I am enclosing photos of my memory module separately and inserted to the NUC (however it does not work also in the second position).memory01.jpg

memory02.jpg

I will try to buy memory module from compatibility list you sent me.

Kind regards,

Vojtech.

• 4. Re: NUC6CAYH can not turn on
                Intel Corporation

Hello Vojtech,
                Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it.
                I will wait for you buy memory module from compatibility list since there is a chance that the module that you own is defective, due to the fact only one memory should be able to boot the BIOS of your machine.
                I’ll follow up in 5 days, if you get it sooner, do not hesitate on reaching me.
                Best Regards,
                Diego S.

• 5. Re: NUC6CAYH can not turn on
                  Intel Corporation

Hello Vojtech,
                  I just wanted to confirm if you need further assistance?
                  Please do not hesitate on reaching us back in case that you still need help.
                  Best regards,
                  Diego S.

• 6. Re: NUC6CAYH can not turn on
                    Vojtech

Hi,

I can confirm that after installing Kingston KVR16LS11/4 memory module, the device is working.

I had some issues that HDMI audio does not work out of the box. However after installing firmware and configuring audio manually by the script on startup

xrandr --output HDMI-1 --set audio on

the audio is also working. I can also confirm that wifi is working under Debian Stretch when the firmware is installed.

Best,

Vojtech.