4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2018 2:50 PM by Intel Corporation

My board cycles through "mem init" and "cpu init" then loops forever. DX58SO2

mcardo

My board worked for some time with the i7 940 processor, 3 sticks of 1333 kingston ram a pci express radeon 7850 video card and a corsair 750w power supply.

I went throught the bios config and remember turning on watch dog for host clock (or something along those lines) also decided to increase the memory frequency to 1333 from 1067 which had set before.

After a reboot, I never saw it post again.

My DX58so2 is currently outside of the case with one stick or ram on dimm0, the pci-express video card mentioned above and the power supply mentioned above.

I have tried the following

1. Set the jumper in config mode (rpins 2-3) making sure to remove power.

It somtimes shows 00 on the error display while cpu fan spins, sometimes restarts after 3 secs showing various codes and ending on 15 then the cycle repeats

2. Removing the jumper to place board on recovery mode

With a usb stick containing the BIO file inserted into usb port to update bios WORKS. I see video, I see the fast intel splash screen, I see the steps taking place stating bios is being programmed, cpu microcode updated, until it says "reboot computer" and "replace jumper"

When computer is rebooted, it shows the initialization led sequence starting with solid green "memory init", then "cpu init" while error display shows various codes and right after code 51 it starts again and the cycle repeats.

3. I tried removing all components, cleaning  and replacing.

4. removed battery for some time.

5. swapped video card, swapped power supply, swapped memory sticks and ports to no avail.

Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: My board cycles through "mem init" and "cpu init" then loops forever. DX58SO2
          David-Intel

Hello mcardo,

I understand that you are having problems with your board and you keep on getting error messages.

Regarding this, first I would like to start by telling you that Intel ® is no longer manufacturing boards and they are now out of interactive support. However, I will try my best to give you suggestions as to what could be tried to fix the problem.

According to the information you provided and the details, the only thing I see hasn't been replaced is the processor itself, I would strongly suggest to attempt and swap the processor and attempt a normal post/boot. After this, check if the unit gives you the same errors or not. Also, something that could be tried is to take the BIOS settings back to default.

Regards,

David V

• 2. Re: My board cycles through "mem init" and "cpu init" then loops forever. DX58SO2
            mcardo

Allow me to quote from the first post:

"  2. Removing the jumper to place board on recovery mode

With a usb stick containing the BIO file inserted into usb port to update bios WORKS. I see video, I see the fast intel splash screen, I see the steps taking place stating bios is being programmed, cpu microcode updated, until it says "reboot computer" and "replace jumper"  "

How can anyone explain the BIOS update works if any of the components on this board (video card, memory, cpu, power supply) are faulty?

The bios update works. I get video on my monitor, it shows the various steps being performed for the bios update, it confirms they have all been successfully updated.

Then I place the jumper in "normal" position (after turning off and discharging) and no video, nothing.

• 3. Re: My board cycles through "mem init" and "cpu init" then loops forever. DX58SO2
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello mcardo,

Thank you for your response,

I quite understand your position, however, trying a different processor will be able to let us determine whether it is a hardware problem or not.

This is because you have already done the swapping test with all of the different components except for the processor or motherboard.

If possible, let us know the outcome.

Regards,
              David V

• 4. Re: My board cycles through "mem init" and "cpu init" then loops forever. DX58SO2
                Intel Corporation
                This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello mcardo,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,
                David V