4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2018 3:38 PM by Joure.V

My NUC shuts down seemingly randomly

I just received my NUC Skull Canyon and have been testing it to see how it handles programs (ue4) and games.
      My NUC seems to shut down by itself and then restarting. Sometimes I get a blue-screen but most of the times there's no error messa

At first I thought it was overheating but it seems that is not the case.

When I use my NUC for browsing and general low stress use it works fine.

The moment I play a game (counter strike: global offensive) it just shuts down randomly.

The same can be said when I'm working on my game in UE4, or playing my game after it's cooked..

I simply do not know where to go from here.
      Could this be a hardware issue?

• 1. Re: My NUC shuts down seemingly randomly

1. Is your NUC and you have assembled it now and have installed the software?

2. Have you downloaded drivers from Intel site and updated your computer?  Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK

3. Please download and run Intel System Support Utility. Please save the report and attach to your replay. Download Intel® System Support Utility for Windows*

• 2. Re: My NUC shuts down seemingly randomly

Hi Leon!

I received my NUC through the Intel Level Up contest (Which I was one of the winners of).
            It came pre-assembled and installed.Windows manually updated everything.

Just now I updated the graphics Driver but to no avail.
            I tried installing Rapid Storage Technology driver but it said it was incompatible.

I've attached the SSU report as well. (After installing the GPU driver)

I do also want to mention that I followed some suggestions from other users here:
            NUC6i7KYK Skull Canyon NUC runs HOT!

I hope this helps.

EDIT #1: I have been running Open Hardware Monitor and attached another report of that as well just in case.
            The reason I mention this is because one of the fans is always running at 100% which I find odd.

EDIT #2: It seems to me that overheating isn't the issue. Just now I ran a lighting build inside UE4 and while the temperatures are high (90+ C) it didn't crash.
            I can't say what else it could be though as I have not done anything crazy with the NUC.

Playing CS:GO on low settings should not cause a NUC to crash I don't think but I am at a loss atm as to where to look, other than a hardware issue but I certainly hope I'm wrong.

• 3. Re: My NUC shuts down seemingly randomly

I can see that you have an old Bios ver 0037 and dated Jun 2016. The lates Bios ver is 0051 dated  Jan 2018. I think you shall update your Bios first Using one of the recovery options (form Power Button Menu or with Security Jumper removed): BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

Download the Bios file KY0051.bio from here: BIOS Recovery Update Instructions for Intel® NUC

If you will use the Power Button Menu method (no need to open the NUC follow those steps:

1 Prepare USB stick fully formatted (disable Quick format option during formatting) to FAT32 with Bios file KY0051.bio .

2 While NUC is OFF insert this USB into USB slot.

3 Press and hold the Power Button (for about 3 sec). You should release the Power Button soon as the power led changes color from blue to amber. NUC will reboot into Power Button Menu. With the USB containing the latest                      bios file, press F4 and the recovery shall start.

4 After recovery is competed, pull out the power cord from the NUC, remove the USB and after replacing the power cord, power ON your NUC.

After updating your Bios, set Bios settings to default:

- enter Bios

- press F9 followed by "Y" and F10 followed BY "Y" to save the settings and exit.

• 4. Re: My NUC shuts down seemingly randomly

Thank you so very, very much for your assistance. I came home from a long trip only to find my main dev rig died on me.
                With no money to replace it short term my only hope was my NUC to continue development and now I have been doing a myriad of things without a crash at all.

I'm so very thankful regarding the support I've gotten from Intel and I'm so happy to be able to work again!
                Thank you and take care!!!

Joure Visser