5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2018 7:11 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

No Meltdown / Spectre Fix for Older Intel Motherboards!

pjc123
        • 1. Re: No Meltdown / Spectre Fix for Older Intel Motherboards!
          Al Hill

What is your question?

Personally, and I am not an Intel employee, I think going back nine years for most of these boards is pretty good.  If your board is older than that, I would upgrade.

Doc

• 2. Re: No Meltdown / Spectre Fix for Older Intel Motherboards!
            markus69

"We no longer have the motherboard-specific BIOS source code, build environment, and tools to build new BIOS releases with the microcode update for some discontinued products."

That is ridicolous. I mean, the point is, they don't have to rebuild a Saturn V rocket. It's a BIOS update.
            Give us the undecrypted version, not the BIO file, and we can do it on our own.
            "I think going back nine years for most of these boards is pretty good.  If your board is older than that, I would upgrade."
            My board isn't older and still powerful (3960x), but I think, my next CPU won't be an Intel. Sorry, but too many fails at once.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: No Meltdown / Spectre Fix for Older Intel Motherboards!
              N.Scott.Pearson

Intel exited the Desktop Boards business over five years ago. The team that worked on these boards is long gone. That Intel assigned a team to do what they could to cover these boards is admirable. They didn't have to. It's a shame that some boards could not be covered but, when a business is shut down, this kind of thing is going to happen. If it was a separate company shutting down, no one would be getting anything.

As for your comments regarding BIOS and updates, you obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about. Regarding a "decrypted" version, there simply isn't one to give (if there was, then they would have what they need to build a new one). Regardless, Intel would never, ever ship firmware in this form; that just creates yet other security issues.

I worked for Intel for 21 years (I am retired now). Intel was the most honorable and ethical company that I ever worked for. In this case, they were honest and forthcoming right from the gitgo and a lot of people have worked their tails off to deliver fixes in a timely fashion. I cannot say the same about the competition; all they did was deny, deny, deny. Well, look at the vulnerabilities that have been reported in their products in the past few weeks. Same processor issues, same management engine issues, etc. As for motherboards, most of the far east manufacturers don't give a d@mn about boards once they ship and few people will be seeing BIOS updates. Still, if you want to go off and use their processors and boards, go right ahead. When you find out that the grass isn't greener on the other side, don't come crying back here.

...S

• 4. Re: No Meltdown / Spectre Fix for Older Intel Motherboards!
                markus69

"The team that worked on these boards is long gone. That Intel assigned a team to do what they could to cover these boards is admirable."

Admirable? No, it is not. They did a good job, but admirable ist too much.
                You mean, all knowledge is gone? Intel is the number one in the world. That must not happen.

And please, you don't know me, I don't know you, so how dare you assume that I don't have a clue what I am talking about?

To convert the Intel BIO file to BIN is still possible. I did. And microcodes updates exist.

Furthermore the Linux microcode update contains more patches than KB 4090007.
                Thanks for them. Really. I mean that.
                Patching is possible, but flashing not.

You need an external programmer.

Or I could use BITS to inject the code.

"Regardless, Intel would never, ever ship firmware in this form; that just creates yet other security issues."

What are these security issues? Could you please explain? What would be the difference between a BIO and a BIN file?
                I am asking because right now i have a security issue.

You're right. Most of the far east manufacturers 'don't give a d@mn about boards once they ship', but there are some that give pretty good support.
                No names, but some far east manufdacturers released updates for X79.

To make it short, I agree Intel does a great job in 99%, but they can do better. They have the knowledge and they have the possibilities.
                I really love my oc'ed 3960x on my DX79SI. It's still competitive. And now I have to wait for Windows patches.
                Which are
                dangerous, because they do only protect my system when Windows booted.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: No Meltdown / Spectre Fix for Older Intel Motherboards!
                  N.Scott.Pearson

The only way that you can create a BIN file is with physical access and by reading the firmware hub's contents using a programmer. A BIN file is completely unsecured. If distributed, it could be patched with root virus, trojans, etc. and you would never know it - and worse, these would be present within the root of trust if programmed back in in this manner. Bottom line, since the BIOS must be within the root of trust, there is no way that Intel would ship a BIOS in an unsecured form. Intel's BIO file is encrypted and cannot be tampered with. Any attempts to do so would be caught and the update(s) included in the file rejected.

...S