Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20455 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver has slow performance after Windows 10 Creators Update

EZaku
New Contributor I

Dear Intel Community,

after installing Windows 10 Creators Update (in April 2017), all 3D software I use became extremely slow in visual performance. To be exact, the software I'm using: FEKO 2017, Solidworks 2018, Altair HyperWorks 2017. The features like rotating, pan, zooming or even making a sketch are useless now, because it takes enormously lot of time to redraw the view, moreover, whole UI is freezing, although the CPU is not loaded at all.

I tried different things:

• Latest driver version I have is 10.18.10.4885 (date 1/3/2018);
  • I rolled back to previous versions of driver (three versions before), they behave the same way;
  • I deleted and reinstalled the new driver completely – it works perfectly until restart. After computer is shut down and turned on again, everything is the same as before. Should the driver be reinstalled anytime I need to work?
  • I installed Windows 10 1709 16299.248 from scratch;
  • Using of OpenGL software rendering mode in a temporary option, but it also has poor performance in big model assemblies.
  • Tried Intel Driver Updater to search new drivers;
  • The BIOS was completely updated to its latest version.

Next thing I tried and it works for me now with some limitations:

I walked through all driver versions downwards, reinstalling and testing them at least three days to validate the functionality. I found out, that the version 10.18.10.3379 for Windows 8.1 x64 (driver date 26.08.2013) works well and without any problems since April 2017. I tested different software (SolidWorks, Altair Hyperworks, FEKO) and different scenarios, e.g. waking up from the sleep mode, hibernation, hyper-v on/off, shared second monitor over Mini DisplayPort and other stuff — the driver works, but with some inconveniences (e.g. completely black model in HyperWorks in shaded mode).

The automatic driver update was blocked in gpedit during all driver tests and installs to avoid its automatic change. The steps I did:

• Open Group Policy Editor gpegit;
  • Go to \Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update;
  • Change "Do not include drivers with Windows Updates" option to enabled.
  • Delete the actual driver in devmgmt.msc completely, including driver files;
  • Restart OS;
  • Install Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver version 10.18.10.3379 for Windows 8.1 x64 (driver date 26.08.2013).

Problem overview table:

Driver version SolidWorks FEKO 2017 HyperWorks 2017

Old driver

Version 10.18.10.3379

• Good performance, black model
  • https://youtu.be/FD4nf8nuRsw Old Driver (10.18.10.3379), HyperWorks 2017, Good Performance, Black model - YouTube

New driver (and three versions before)

Version 10.18.10.4885

• Good performance, colorful model
  • https://youtu.be/xVc0d3JTZRs New Driver (10.18.10.4885), HyperWorks 2017, Good Performance, Normal model - YouTube

Information table:

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

<td rowspan="2" style="color: # 3d3d3d; background-color: transparent; text-align: left; font-family...
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello everybody

Thank all for waiting, I would like to share with you that we have a new driver released 15.33.47.5059 that has a fix for this issue. They can download it from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28164 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28164.

In case you need to complete a manual installation of the graphics driver version, follow these steps:

1. Download the graphics driver ZIP file comparable to your system configuration ( 32 bit or 64 bit)
  2. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
  3. Right-click on the Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
  4. Click "Yes" when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
  5. Expand the Display adapters section.
  6. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
  7. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
  8. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
  9. Click "Have Disk".
  10. Click "Browse".
  11. Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".
  12. Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".
  13. Click Open, then click OK, and finally click "Next". Drivers are now being installed.
  14. Reboot your computer.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

20 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello ea.zakutin

Thank you for joining the community and providing all the information we are going to look into the scenario, as soon as we have news we will be posting back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
BLaGa1
Novice

Please add me to the list of affected and very frustrated users. I am using the Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver on a Samsung NP300 laptop running multiple monitors. The Windows 10 Creators update has been forced on me twice, disabling this driver as incompatible and activating a basic graphics driver that does not support multiple monitors. I have spent roughly 15 hours attempting to resolve this issue - half of that with Microsoft support. Product users should not have to endure this sort of disruption.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello User101010

Thank you for joining the community.

To report your situation about problems with the multiple monitors please fill up the information on the following link, and create a new thread with it.

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Thanks.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
JStri2
Novice

Hello

I am a representative of http://parsecgaming.com/ http://parsecgaming.com, a company who creates game streaming technology.

We exclusively use OpenGL as our client rendering method on all platforms (Windows, MacOS, Linux).

We have received a significantly large amount of support requests for incredibly poor performance for users using Intel HD 4000 graphics running Windows 10 Creators update and latest Intel HD Drivers.

We have been hunting for a solution to this problem for the last 1-2 months, we believed the issue was caused by systems running OLD drivers and were pushing users to install 10.18.10.4XXX drivers (we were wrong!).

We have followed user EA.ZAKUTIN's solution on the two HD 4000 devices we purchased specially for trying to resolve this bug, and we have confirmed that the older driver that is recommended by EA.ZAKUTIN completely resolve the issue,

I want to thank user EA.ZAKUTIN for this very helpful bug report!

Intel, please release an updated and fully compatible OpenGL Driver for Windows 10 Creators Update, so we do not have to recommend our users manually install a 2013 level graphics driver.

idata
Employee

Hello ea.zakutin and jamesstringer

Thank you for the feedback provided,

Allow me to share with you that is recommended to use the driver form the manufacturer of the system due to those have been customized for their systems, in this case, the driver 10.18.10.4885 will be generic drives for the controller, we recommend to use the driver from the manufacturer website for the systems.

ea.zakutin cloud you try the graphics driver from Lenovo on the following link? Please let us know the outcome

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cr/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x230/downloads https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cr/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x230/downloads

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
JStri2
Novice

Hi there

Please note our recommendation to existing users has been to uninstall (and delete) the existing driver from Windows Device Manager, reboot, and let Windows fetch the most up to date driver form Windows Update.

Unfortunately if we suggested users get manufacturer driver, it would be replaced by a Windows update driver regardless.

Please note that Windows Update on my Dell E6430s test machine updates to a driver ending in 4425 (I believe, I am unable to currently check, but for certain it is not ending in 4885).

4425 exhibits the same performance issue.

BLaGa1
Novice

When I posted about this issue I was instructed to create a new thread so when I got it resolved I updated that thread but did not update this one. So, in case it might be of any help here is how I stumbled along into a satisfactory resolution to the issue.

My system would not let me install anything other than the HD 4000 Graphics driver v.10.33.10.4276 which it would promptly disable and rever to the Windows basic driver. I tried to install the older v.10.18.10.4242; v.10.18.10.4358 as well as the newest 10.18.10.4885 and attempted install failed with incompatibility errors. I finally happened to notice that there was a Phoenix Technologies BIOS update available for my system. Using Powershell I was able to run the BIOS update after which I was able to install the v.10.18.10.4885 driver and viola! everything began to work as expected.

0 Kudos
EZaku
New Contributor I

The problem is not in installation process or some installation errors. Installation process is fine. The problem is with the performance of the driver.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ea.zakutin

Thank you for your response.

We are looking into the situation; we will be posting back when news becomes available.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
EZaku
New Contributor I

Hello Leonardo,

I just installed newly released April 2018 Update of Windows 10 Build 1803. The issue still persists. Will there be any performance improvements in future driver releases?

0 Kudos
BBinn1
Beginner

This problem is completely unacceptable and there is no excuse for Intel not publishing a solution or workaround. My laptop is an Asus UX31A running Windows 10/64 Home Version 1803 Build # 17134.81 and I can find no solution to this problem.

I found the Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver version 10.18.10.3379 on a Dell website but the install failed with the message saying my system is not compatible with the driver. This problem has existed for some time now - when can we expect a solution?

0 Kudos
IPavl1
Beginner

Thank you for looking into this situation, Intel. Has there been any update on when and if a solution will become available?

I'm also experiencing difficulties as previously described in this thread and the GPU performance of my HD4000 is currently completely unacceptable. I've had to turn off GPU accel in some applications because the screen started flickering or losing 2nd display connectivity - things which didn't happen with earlier versions of Windows or the drivers.

It's obvious that the affected number of people is quite high. The CPUs which have the HD4000 are still pretty respectable when it comes to processing performance, so with a 4 core i7-3612qm it would be extremely beneficial to my work to have this fixed.

0 Kudos
BBinn1
Beginner

Luckily I found a simple and effective fix for this issue that works perfectly for me. All I had to do was set the Properties for the badly behaving software to run in Windows 8 Compatibility Mode. Doing this fixed the problem completely.

Fortunately I had only one program (Rhino 3D) that required this fix, but I see no reason whyyou could not use it for as many programs as needed. I am also both surprised and disappointed that Intel has not becomoe aware of this fix and published it long ago.

0 Kudos
IPavl1
Beginner

Thanks for the tip, however some of the apps I have problems with don't run that well like that (Slack, Lightroom, even some Windows Insider builds general UI issues),

There's just something wrong in the drivers making them run slower and buggy and it's unfortunate no fix is being made.

0 Kudos
EZaku
New Contributor I

Hello Leonardo,

1. thank you for your recommendations, but before I created this post, I tested every single driver (I spend a lot of time) going down until I found more or less sufficiently working version (10.18.10.3379). Just to be sure, following your recommendations, today I installed the driver from Lenovo website (10.18.10.4425), restarted the laptop and got the same poor CAD performance.
  2. Moreover, I upgraded the BIOS as User101010 suggested, before installing Lenovo driver.
  3. After BIOS upgrade (G2ETB1WW, 2.71), the issue still persists even with the latest Intel driver (4885).
0 Kudos
EZaku
New Contributor I

"This question is Assumed Answered." How did that happen Intel? I never clicked on anything like that. How to switch it back? The question is NOT answered!

EZaku
New Contributor I

Hello everybody,

for couple of days I installed the driver released on Lenovo website: Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad, Version 10.18.10.4425, Released on 04 Sep 2018. The driver works well so far, however, this is an older version of the driver and could be the modification only for certain Thinkpad machines. Could anyone else confirm the driver works properly, if you have one of these machines listed in https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/g1dt003w.txt readme?

UPD: Nope. It has the same poor behavior after two days of using...

idata
Employee

Hello everybody

Thank all for waiting, I would like to share with you that we have a new driver released 15.33.47.5059 that has a fix for this issue. They can download it from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28164 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28164.

In case you need to complete a manual installation of the graphics driver version, follow these steps:

1. Download the graphics driver ZIP file comparable to your system configuration ( 32 bit or 64 bit)
  2. Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.
  3. Right-click on the Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.
  4. Click "Yes" when prompted for permission from User Account Control.
  5. Expand the Display adapters section.
  6. Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.
  7. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
  8. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
  9. Click "Have Disk".
  10. Click "Browse".
  11. Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".
  12. Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".
  13. Click Open, then click OK, and finally click "Next". Drivers are now being installed.
  14. Reboot your computer.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

EZaku
New Contributor I

Hello Leonardo,

I've been testing the driver for one week, went through different scenarios I usually did, and it looks like everything is working! Seems like the issue is solved, the graphics work smooth and performance is great! Thank you for your time and efforts!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello all

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos