6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2018 7:46 AM by N.Scott.Pearson

STK1AW32SC "Updates" at end of POST prior to Windows start-up?

nanoadam

Is there a good document describing what updates are occurring toward the end of POST with "Intel" displayed prior to indication of Window 10 start-up?  I have two Compute Sticks which exhibit this behavior after previously being configured for no Windows Updates (i.e. Windows Update service disabled).  I didn't capture the exact language, but the duration of updates and % completion updates looked like Windows Updates during POST which doesn't seem right.  Could there be something intermittently changing state in BIOS or Windows with unexpected power cycling that would cause the behavior on the subsequent boot cycle?  I've had at least one Compute Stick lose application functionality after an errant Windows Update and am concerned about robustness if wanting to deploy Compute Sticks in multiple locations.  I'll try to get BIOS versions and other details, but wanted to get the overall behavior posted for discussion/feedback.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: STK1AW32SC "Updates" at end of POST prior to Windows start-up?
          allan_intel

Hi nanoadam,

I would like to help you on this matter but I need to have more information about the issue you have described in this post. If you have pictures of any error messages. Also, please elaborate more the description of this problem so I can try to isolate it as soon as possible.

Regards,

Allan J

• 2. Re: STK1AW32SC "Updates" at end of POST prior to Windows start-up?
            Intel Corporation
            This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi nanoadam,

I was wondering if you still need assistance on this matter, please provide more details so I can try to isolate this issue.

Regards, 
            Allan J

• 3. Re: STK1AW32SC "Updates" at end of POST prior to Windows start-up?
              N.Scott.Pearson

The BIOS logo - which is replaceable by the user - is displayed during BIOS POST and in such a way that it remains onscreen during the Windows load process. It needs to be understood that, even though the logo remains onscreen, once the Windows load process starts, the BIOS is no longer running and Windows is completely in control. Saying it another way, if you are seeing Windows Update transactions being displayed, the BIOS has absolutely nothing to do with them occurring. Windows Update transactions occur during both the Windows startup and shutdown processes (i.e. during those times when no Windows processes are running and all files are unlocked and available for update).

You say that you have Windows Update disabled? I don't think so. Without hacking, you simply cannot prevent Windows Update from performing certain update tasks.

...S

• 4. Re: STK1AW32SC "Updates" at end of POST prior to Windows start-up?
                nanoadam

Hi, Allan,

Thanks for following up twice -- I am not sure why but I didn't get notification of your updates until yesterday.  Will provide a bit more detail with the next reply.

Regards,

nanoadam

• 5. Re: STK1AW32SC "Updates" at end of POST prior to Windows start-up?
                  nanoadam

H, Scott,

Thanks for these details.  Having BIOS POST displayed during Windows load is the key.  Whether it's a function of Windows 10 + Atom or something else, it's a different behavior from my past Intel/Microsoft experiences.  I did not change BIOS settings nor replace the BIOS logo.

As for Windows Update Service being disabled, that's part of the configuration process I have been tinkering with.  It's a manual process via Administrative Tools\Services (not quite a hack IMO).  With power cycle testing it appeared to re-enable unexpectedly.  That's either a separate but related issue or an isolated case of operator error of the manual disabling of the service.  I'm going to continue banging on the handful of units to see if it can be replicated.

Regards,

nanoadam

• 6. Re: STK1AW32SC "Updates" at end of POST prior to Windows start-up?
                    N.Scott.Pearson

Good luck. As far as I know, MS is going to keep installing updates that it deems "necessary" no matter what you do. Thankfully (at least in the short term), drivers are not (yet) deemed "necessary" and disabling the service will block them. If there is a bug and their "re-enabling" then allows driver updates to also occur, then this is getting scary. I cannot count the number of times that graphics driver updates have screwed up NUCs and Compute Sticks that I am testing.

...S