4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2018 5:14 PM by marma-lade

questions on memory for DH67BL

marma-lade

1) Intel documents state that blue memory slots should be used first. Is it just more efficient or will using only black slots not work?

2) Older equipment is getting hard to find. So what happens if I have a board which accepts DDR3-1333 / DDR3-1066 and I use DDR3-1600? Does it not work at all? What appears in BIOS when I look at potential memory profiles?

3) I found a post by N.Scott.Pearson (Memory Types ) stating that faster memory actually overclocks the processor's memory controller. So would a 2nd generation processor accept DDR3-1600 instead of the stated DDR3-1333 / DDR3-1066?

4) Boards for 2nd and 3rd generation processors seem to use 1.5 V memory, but DDR3-1600 sticks are rated for 1.5 V, 1.35 / 1.5 V, 1.5 / 1.65 V, or 1.65 V. Will DDR3-1600 sticks adjust to the board's different voltage or must I match voltage exactly?

The above is on DH67BL, i5-2405S, and no-name memory that now causes memtest errors.

Added by me: #2 appears to be answered by Intel pages on tested memory. The one for DH67BL does not list any DDR3-1600 sticks, but the one for DH67CL lists two of them, so slightly faster memory appears to be acceptable, as long as I buy quality stuff. Corsair makes some Vengeance with a 1.5 V rating.

• 1. Re: questions on memory for DH67BL
          N.Scott.Pearson

Black slots will work just fine. Blue slots are preferred because they can be less noisy (if Black slots are not also being used). In general, just be consistent (i.e. if using only two DIMMs, use the two Blue slots or use the two Black slots).

DDR3-1600 may work just fine. I use DDR-1600 in 5 Series boards, so you should be able to use them in your 6 Series board.

Correct; it is best to use DDR3-1600 DIMMs that run at 1.5V regardless of speed. While the board has support for using higher voltages for higher speeds, it is not recommended. If you do use them, choosing the XMP profile will automatically configure it to use the higher voltage necessary. Your board cannot support voltages below 1.5V however. DIMMs with support for 1.35V are for use with much, much newer boards and processors.

If you purchase DDR3-1600 DIMMs and they do not seem to work, try configuring them (in BIOS) to run at only 1333 or even 1066 speeds; they should work then.

Hope this helps,

...S

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: questions on memory for DH67BL
            marma-lade

That helps a bunch, thanks. I was worried about buying new memory and it not working. I found Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 rated at 1.5 V at Newegg, so I bought it.

You mentioned that you use DDR3-1600 on a 5-series board. I looked up DP55WG on ark.intel.com (launch date of Q3 2009). I did not think DDR3-1600 was that old.

• 3. Re: questions on memory for DH67BL
              N.Scott.Pearson

No, DDR3-1600 was released in 2007 and Intel began supporting it in the BearLake (3 Series) chipsets.

...S

• 4. Re: questions on memory for DH67BL
                marma-lade

I am replying to my post because there is an epilogue with an unhappy ending.

I bought the Crucial memory I referenced, DDR3-1600, and replaced the original DDR3-1333. The system would not boot (the fans turned, but there was never any video). I tried a few things, but the system would never boot. I replaced the memory with the original DDR3-1333, but the system would not boot (same symptoms). I had an extra Ivy Bridge Pentium, so I installed it to test if the processor was at fault. Luckily I had previously flashed the BIOS to the latest one which supported Ivy Bridge. The system started and ran fine with the Ivy Bridge processor.

All I can think of is that the faster memory caused my old Sandy Bridge processor to die from OCing. The lesson I learned from this experience is to never use memory speeds other than what the processor supports.