3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2018 4:11 PM by N.Scott.Pearson

Exposed C236 without heatsink in HP Z240

Cezary

Hi,

I recently bought brand-new HP workstation Z240 and gave it back immediately. To my great surprise I discovered that the c236 chipset was exposed having no heatsink whatsoever. I checked two other Z240s with the same result. My confusion stem from the fact that 'Intel requires that system designers plan for an attached heatsink when using the PCH'. Has anything changed? Is a heatsink no longer required for c236 (especially in workstations)? What about the lifespan of such solution/application? As far as I know the initial production series have heatsinks attached to c236. Has anyone encountered this problem?

Best regards,

Cezary

• 1. Re: Exposed C236 without heatsink in HP Z240
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello, Cezary.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reach the Intel® Communities Team.

Allow me to share with you that the chipset may have o may not have a heatsink on it. This will actually depend on the design of the manufacturer of the system. The system manufacturer might see that a heatsink is not necessary, with the airflow will be enough and that the lifespan will not be affected by that. I will highly recommend you to ask this to the HP Support Team so they can provide you with the exact reasons for this specific model.

Antony S.

• 2. Re: Exposed C236 without heatsink in HP Z240
            Cezary

Hello, Antony.

Thank you for putting my mind at ease about an obligatory use of a heatsink .

Although I must admit I’d like to see a heatsink on this chipset instead of worries about the sufficient airflow. After all I can see no cons for using a heatsink. The C236 can be busy as bee with two m.2 turbo drives and two HDDs on board in this workstation. And it is impossible to mount a front fan in this WS (there is only a rear one). I guess I have no other choice but to trust the manufacturer.

Thanks for your quick response and help with this issue.

Best regards,

Cezary

• 3. Re: Exposed C236 without heatsink in HP Z240
              N.Scott.Pearson

Cezary,

The PCH component (all that remains within the "chipset") can happily operate at much higher temperatures than you would expect. The maximum junction temperature (Tj-max) for the C220 Series chipset is 108c and the maximum case temperature (Tcase-max) is 104c. The PCH also includes a digital thermal sensor (DTS) that you can monitor to verify that the part is getting adequate cooling.

Still, if I was spec'ing the board, I would have included a heatsink anyway. There is always the possibility of cables, etc. blocking airflow. Only the paranoid survive!

...S