3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2018 12:15 PM by Intel Corporation

Optane bug report and observations.

nosirrahx

I discovered a bug when enabling Optane when it has been enabled on a different drive before even after correctly disabling it first.

The 2nd time you enable Optane cache everything will appear to work correctly and the OS drive will be accelerated but the statistics tab will report that the memory service is not running and the Intel task to Optimize will be blank.

After 3 rounds of fresh OS installs and what appeared to be successful Optane installs I was still unable to avoid this bug.

I am fortunate enough to have access to several Optane drives so I swapped out the original Optane drive with one that had never been used before and was able to enable Optane fully with no issue, optimize task was created correctly and statistics tab shows last and next optimization.

When researching this error I found an existing thread here so this cannot be an isolated incident:

Intel Optane Memory Service is not running

I was not expecting the fresh Optane drive to fix the issue so I do not have logs saved although it likely would be far more beneficial for Intel engineers to reproduce this fully on their end.

For the record, to reproduce this do the following steps:

Install Windows 10 (with Optane drive attached)

Install Optane cache software (reboot until Optane is fully setup)

Launch Optane app and disable Optane (reboot)

Leave Optane drive installed but replace OS drive

Install Windows 10 on new drive

Install Optane cache software (reboot until Optane is fully setup)

Observe that the statistics tab reports that the memory service is not running

Observe that there is an Intel folder in task scheduler but there is no task listed

• 1. Re: Optane bug report and observations.
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi nosirrahx,

Thanks for contacting our support community. We understand your concern regarding the Intel® Optane™ Memory task. 

In order to better understand your situation, could you please provide the following information: 

*Please provide us with the logs located here:  C:\Users\[your user name]\Intel\Logs
          *Please download and run the Intel® System Support Utility. Run the scan selecting "Everything." Save this report and upload.
          *Please let us know the capacity of your Intel® Optane™ Memory(16GB or 32GB).

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,
          Junior M.

• 2. Re: Optane bug report and observations.
            nosirrahx

Please re-read my post, I no longer have a problem as I have solved an Optane bug on my own.

I am reporting the steps that will allow Intel engineers to recreate the same bug, a bug that has been reported by other users.

The bug in question is the statistics tab reporting that the memory service is not running and the optimize task is not created correctly. The cause is re-using an Optane drive even if you correctly disable it before setting it back up.

• 3. Re: Optane bug report and observations.
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hi nosirrahx,

Sorry for the confusion. We are glad to hear that your situation has been resolved. 

We will provide this feedback to the engineering team. 

Please let us know if there is something else we can assist you with.

Regards, 
              Junior M. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful