4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2018 6:38 AM by Intel Corporation

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow downloads fast uploads

txtianmiller

I haven't seen this questions asked elsewhere. My Intel AC 8260 wireless has suddenly dropped download speeds, from over 200Mbps last week to .62 Mbps this week. No software or hardware installations or other changes. My upload speeds remain the same, around 10 Mbps. I'm running Windows 10, 64 bit on a Yoga 900.

It gets stranger. I thought the problem might be in the AC8260 card, so I installed a USB wireless. Same problem. Upload speeds at 10 Mbps. Download speeds at around 1 Mbps.

All other devices in my house (laptops, desktops, iPhone) connect at close to 200 Mbps download, 10Mbps upload. Only the Yoga laptop has this problem.

Any help appreciated.

• 1. Re: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow downloads fast uploads
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello txtianmiller,

Thanks for posting in our community. We understand you're experiencing slow wireless download speeds on your laptop.

It seems unlikely to be a driver related issue since the issue happens with both the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 and the USB wireless dongle. Each devices uses different drivers.

It is possible an application or operating system service is blocking or consuming the bandwidth. However, we would to confirm your system and network specifications to confirm if there's anything we can do to improve the connection quality:

- Intel® System Support Utility report.
              1. Download the latest Intel® SSU
              2. While connected to your WiFi network, run the scan. Select to include "everything."
              3. Name and save the report.
          - Your WLAN Auto-Config log.
              1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command prompt, and then select Run as administrator > Yes.
              2. Enter: netsh wlan show wlanreport
              3. Go to: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\WlanReport\ locate wlan-report-latest.html

Best regards,
          Eugenio F.

• 2. Re: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow downloads fast uploads
            Intel Corporation

Hello txtianmiller,

We haven't heard from you since the creation of the thread. Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Best regards,
            Eugenio F.

• 3. Re: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow downloads fast uploads
              eiithel

Hello,

I faced the similar issue on my brand new hp spectre laptop.

I did the wireless network report as you suggested and it shows that the main disconnect reason is "the network is disconnected by the driver".

Download throughput was doing well when I got the computer ie 30 Mbps and now I strive to go beyond 1 Mbps.

Any suggestion besides taking a look to the report ? Why would the driver disconnect from the network by itself ?

Thank you

Regards

• 4. Re: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 slow downloads fast uploads
                Intel Corporation

Hello eiithel,

Thanks for posting.

The driver installation may be corrupted. We recommend performing a clean driver installation as instructed here:

- Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers

Please notice that the article mentions there are three different drivers you can test. The Intel generic driver, the driver provided by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) and the inbox driver installed by Windows*. Please let us know the results.

Best regards,
                Eugenio F.