6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2018 9:24 AM by lapinporo

NUC7i5BNH freezing totally during high load when HT enabled

lapinporo

Hi all,

I have been using NUC7i5BNH for about 6 months now, but only recently noticed that the system is prone to freeze during high CPU load. I first noticed this when antivirus system scans always resulted in a total freeze. Now I get the same issue when creating preview images in Adode Lightroom 6.

When the system freezes, it becomes totally unresponsive. Mouse cursor is stuck and no response to keyboards actions. Nothing happens on the screen either.

Also the fan speed stays high, which may suggest that this is a low level problem. Windows event log contains only "kernel power" events indicating that the computer was rebooted without first powering it off in the normal way.

I have done the following:

- memtest, no issues found

- ran intel processor diagnostic tool, PASSED

- re-installed Windows on new SSD, still freezing

- disconnected all USB devices except mouse and keyboard, still freezing

My setup:

- NUC7i5BNH

- 2 x 4GB 2133MHZ DDR4 Kingston HyperX Impact

- Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD (previously rather old OCZ 128 GB SATA SSD, same issue)

- Windows 10 pro (1709)

- network via ethernet

- 4K LG display via HDMI

- latest BIOS (0060) and latest drivers from Intel Driver & Support Assistant

Any ideas? What should I try / do next?

BR,

Anssi

• 1. Re: NUC7i5BNH freezing totally during high load
          N.Scott.Pearson

Run an app that will collect temperature data over time. It would be interesting to see what the temperatures are at the point where the NUC hangs.

...S

• 2. Re: NUC7i5BNH freezing totally during high load
            lapinporo

Thanks for the hint!

I ran two tests:

- 100% CPU load (Prime95) for 30 minutes, no freezing, core temperatures around 83-84C

- 100% CPU load (Prime95) + ~70% GPU load (OCCT) for 30 minutes, no freezing, core temperatures around 83-84C

I suppose these temperatures are quite high, but still normal with NUCs.

Next (after a while) I ran the AV system scan twice:

- at first run the system freezed after 3 minutes (didn't measure temperatures)

- at second run it freezed at 4 minutes (core temperatures 79-80C)

• 3. Re: NUC7i5BNH freezing totally during high load
              N.Scott.Pearson

There is nothing wrong with these temperatures. They are exactly where they should be for high-utilization tests.

I am thinking that it is the M.2 SSD temperature that we need to be watching, not the processor...

...S

• 4. Re: NUC7i5BNH freezing totally during high load
                lapinporo

There seems to be two sensors on the SSD:

- in idle state temperatures were 31C and 32C

- during AV system scan attempt they were 37C and 51C

Low enough in my opinion.

But here comes the interesting part: having read that there has been issues with hyperthreading previously, I disabled it in BIOS. Now the AV system scans ran through without freezing!

When I enabled HT again, AV scans and preview image creation in Lightroom lead to system freeze again.

So this problem has something to do with hyper-threading!

I would now very much like someone from Intel to comment this matter.

• 5. Re: NUC7i5BNH freezing totally during high load when HT enabled
                  DarkTapo

Hi, I mentioned the problem some time ago:

NUC7i7BNH freezing on workload / not with Hyperthreading off

We simply aren't sending the NUCs to Intel and just deaktivated the planned AV task and wait until there is a) a BIOS fix from Intel  or b) a fix from AV-Manufacturer I don't think there will be either one.

Why we do not send them back?

Since not every unit have that problem (all absolutly with the same hardware) the finding of every single unit out of ~100 NUCs with this problem take much time and nerves.

And even with that information we would have the option to...

- sending every single unit one by one to intel and wait until it is back - which is no option I think

- sending all at once - which is is not possible because that way the personnel is unable to work

If it is really no software/firmware-bug and "just" a hardware-bug then I have to say, that the NUCs have a massive failure spreading.

• 6. Re: NUC7i5BNH freezing totally during high load when HT enabled
                    lapinporo

Okay, seems that I'm experiencing almost identical issues...

I suppose the silence from Intel side indicates that:

- there are no on-going actions to solve this issue

- RMA process is the way to go

Since I have just one unit, replacing will be easier.

Thanks for your comments DarkTapo!

BR,

Anssi