4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2018 12:55 AM by ja-l-d

Extended desktop on twin external screens for HP Spectre with HD 520 graphics?

ja-l-d

Hello,

I have an HP Spectre Pro x360 G2 convertible PC with i7-6500U  CPU 2.5 GHz 2.59GHz, 8GB RAM, Intel(R) HD Graphics 520, 13.3-inch diagonal QHD UWVA WLED BrightView (2560 x 1440), driver 21.20.16.4542. It has HDMI and mini-display port outputs.

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04802432.pdf

I also have an HP 3005pr USB port replicator.

Question 1)

- can this PC drive a) one external monitor or can it b) drive two external monitors in extended desktop mode with the lid shut?

- I would like to run two 27 inch monitors at 2560x1440 at 60Hz to use in extended desktop mode, with the laptop closed.

- Can the 520 support this?

- Is 27 inch the limit or would 32 inch still be stable and clear?

Question 2)

- HP recommend only one monitor at this size: HP EliteDisplay E272q      M1P04AAhttp://store.hp.com/SwitzerlandStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=M1P04AA&opt=UUZ&sel=MTO

- Can this PC drive a) one or b) two such monitors at 2560x1440 at 60Hz in extended desktop mode?

- How would they be connected?

Question 3)

- This monitor is currently unavailable on the HP store and they cannot comment on other screens, hence would this PC drive:

a) one BenQ PD2700q at 2560x1440 at 60Hz

b) two BenQ PD2700q at 2560x1440 at 60Hz in extended desktop mode?

- How would they be connected?

BenQ say to contact HP to check but they can only offer the one screen for this model that is not available.

A professional stable flicker free output is what I need.

Any help appreciated! It should not be so complicated!

• 1. Re: Extended desktop on twin external screens for HP Spectre with HD 520 graphics?
          Intel Corporation
          This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello, ja-l-d.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reach the Intel® Communities Team.

I understand you would like to know if you can achieve a 2560x1440 at 60Hz resolution using 2 displays connected to your HP* Spectre Pro C360 G2. I will be more than glad to assist you further.

Regarding your first question:
          -Your system will be able to either use one or two external monitors with the lid shut.
          -The controller of your computer will support 3 displays connected to your system.
          -Furthermore, the inches of your monitor will not be a restriction, the important specification will be the resolution.

In reference to your second question:
          -We do not recommend monitors, as previously mentioned, you would like to get a monitor that is capable to reach 2560x1440 at 60Hz and support DP connection since as per your system specifications, page 5, the HDMIv1.4b port will only support up to 1920x1200 @ 60Hz as a result, for you to achieve the two display set up, you will need a DisplayPort™ hub.

Finally, about your third question:
          -As I mentioned above, we do not recommend monitors just bear in mind that the monitor you choose will need to reach 2560x1440 at 60Hz and a DisplayPort™ connection.

I hope this answers all your questions.

Antony S.

• 2. Re: Extended desktop on twin external screens for HP Spectre with HD 520 graphics?
            ja-l-d

Hello and thank you for the reply.

So if I understand correctly:

I can look for two external monitors of my choice and a display port hub and via my mini-display port output I will be able via win 10 to drive the two external monitors at 2560x1440 @60 Hz in Extended desk top mode (not clones ... this is not what I am looking for)?

I have looked at a display port hub and there appears to be different versions of display port. Seems to need display port 1.2 for extended desktop?

Delock Products 87693 Delock Displayport 1.2 Splitter 1 x mini Displayport in > 4 x Displayport out 4K

Maximum resolution (depending on the system and the connected hardware):

Displayport 1.1 or 1.2 Single Stream Transport (SST):

up to 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz (mirrored)

Displayport 1.2 Multi Stream Transport (MST):

up to 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz or 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz (mirrored or extended)

max. 4x 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Does my machine support this version of display port?

I assume I need to find screens also support v1.2 display port?

Thank you for your help

• 3. Re: Extended desktop on twin external screens for HP Spectre with HD 520 graphics?
              Intel Corporation
              This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation

Hello, ja-l-d.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Indeed, you can get two displays and use the mini-DisplayPort™ with a hub to extend the two displays using 2560x1440 at 60Hz (not clones).
              Then, as per your HP* System specifications (page 8), the laptop possesses one mini DisplayPort™ 1.2 connector so it will be better to get displays that support this version of DisplayPort™.

Please let me know if you have any other type of question.

Antony S.

• 4. Re: Extended desktop on twin external screens for HP Spectre with HD 520 graphics?
                ja-l-d

Thank you Antony. I have since purchased two display port 1.2 compatible monitors and can run these in extended desktop at the desired resolution.

Appreciated!